Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Practical Use of Barrier Stops

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    The less shit on my rifle the better

Pretty much...

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I feel the same about this as I do these big ass, giant charging handle levers that are obnoxiously big- not on my rifle.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    The less shit on my rifle the better
    This. Things like this add weight, and hang up on things, while lightening the wallet, for my purposes.

Can't blame 'em, it's their job to innovate and sell stuff.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Also, mentioned by the OP about putting all your weight into it, TERRIBLE IDEA. I know you weren’t being literal when you said that, but just in case someone reads that and doesn’t know: you never want to lean in and put too much weight on an AR’s front end. I don’t care if it’s a free float rail with a truck axle barrel. You will induce receiver flex in your rifle,and you’ll adjust your POI. I learned this shooting SR-25’s with Jack (Failure2Stop). He talks about it in regards to “pre-loading” your bi-pod. This is something that’s very common on bolt guns, and likely guys do it on gas guns too. Bad idea. The gun should be at zero pre-load, so that translates directly to leaning into a barricade stop.
    AR’s are a different bird, and shooting them as precision rifles takes s different hand. Very rewarding when done correctly though.
    Last edited by Vegasshooter; 03-20-19 at 13:10.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    The Army told me to use my hand as a barrier stop, so that is what I do. I have to admit they are cool looking, but meh....

Feedback Score
    I also see can some advantage as well though, injury to your support hand, but for the most part, 95% of the time, and as others have said> I use my support hand for this type of shooting-training.
    The 5% I've used the very end of my handguard, as 1 carbines I have, the Forward Facing Edge, has Barrier Gripping potential, I can use it to Really Dig into the Corner of a Wall or whatever the support is you are wanting to use, Just have to be aware to Not to be putting pressure on the barrel, best case, is to Not be touching the barrel.

Feedback Score
    The Gripstop is a better alternative, as it works as a fore-grip but has teeth to engage barriers or other surfaces.

Feedback Score
    I run a vertical grip or handstop on all of my builds; if I'm at a barricade or place in which I can support my rifle upon, I just use the VFG/handstop and lean into it, gripping either the magwell or over/around the VFG depending on the structure. My weaponlight serves the same purpose if I'm shooting parallel to a structure.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have always assumed these trinkets to be some kind of magic 3gun addition that I didn't know about; I just never thought to actually ask. All I see is something else that's going to snag on my pack, body, or gear when slinging or un-slinging. Foregrip FTW

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
    I have always assumed these trinkets to be some kind of magic 3gun addition that I didn't know about; I just never thought to actually ask. All I see is something else that's going to snag on my pack, body, or gear when slinging or un-slinging. Foregrip FTW
    No magic...I shoot a couple of 3guns a month and I dont remember ever seeing anyone with a gnarled barricade stop. I'm sure they made these for 3gun, but does any 3gunner actually use one?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast