Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help picking a carbine light

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Streamlight is junk. I have broken Streamlights just mounting them on the rifle. I used to work for a company that sold Streamlights and I was the guy that processed all the warranties for customer returns. I saw more Streamlights come back than anything else, usually because they just can't stand any level of hard use. They might be fine for a temporary solution at a low price while you save money or shop for something better, but I would never consider Streamlight capable of HD abuse. I do have one mounted on a Glock--that I keep in a nightstand. But my HD carbine has a Surefure G2 with LED head kit and click button rear cap. It's been GTG since 2010 and has suffered all kinds of bumps and hits.
    Was this within the last 2-3 years?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Was this within the last 2-3 years?
    The Streamlight I broke mounting it on the rifle was. I forget the model number because I threw it out, but it's the one that comes with its own integral mount and a tape switch if you want to use that instead of the standard tail cap. I broke the mount just tightening it about 1/4 turn past hand tight.

But, yes, the warranty problems I encountered were in the years before I took over the family ranch ten years ago.

The experience with the rifle-mounted light in just the last few months reminded me of their low quality I encountered years ago.

BTW: I think the TLR3 on my Glock looks a little fragile just handling it. I haven't broken it yet but I have heard anecdotes of people breaking the mount by overtightening it with a screwdriver.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 03-20-19 at 11:07.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I have a surefire handheld light that's almost old enough to enlist.

Feedback Score
    I presently have three Surefires on rifles/shotgun and two Streamlights mounted on pistols. Surefire has a great reputation but the associated cost is higher with an American supply chain. The two Streamlights are owned because their form factors were more innovative and useable than the Surefires.

I have never had a major failure from either company due to damage or extended use. Streamlight has been right neck and neck with Surefire even if my last purchase was Surefire.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I think the current, all around best light for a long gun is the SureFire M600DF. There are others that may beat it in one or two areas, but I’m not aware of any that comes out on top in several aspects. Downside is price, but it sounds like you’ve got some space so it’s going to take a quality light with some throw to get enough lum for PID.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The new Warrior X is going on sale Friday. It is actually double hulled for durability and the first light to be actually drop tested 1200 times at 2m at different angles. It's performance numbers is higher than any stock light out there right now...by a wide margin. Can't go wrong for this kind of deal. The kit comes with a mount and the new magnetically attached tape switch. I would get a different mount like the qd Vltor mentioned above, but for $104, that's a steal.

https://www.olightstore.com/flash-sale

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    For performance on a budget it's hard to beat a Surefire G2X Tactical. There are enough decent mounts for it that you can have a solid HD light for under or around $100.
    ...SNIP.
    I bought a Surefire G2 Nitrolon in winter of 2005, carried it for a bit (including Florida Phase, very wet), and in the spring, I mounted it on my issued weapon in place of a 6p, with the clicky tailcap from an older model Surefire. It rode on my weapon for about 11 years, including several deployments. Its been banged around and used as an impromptu barrier stop. (Yes, I generally use my hand). It has several layers of paint. I still keep it as a handheld light. Click here to see a beat up weapon light. https://imgur.com/gallery/PzJixX1

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    I have a surefire handheld light that's almost old enough to enlist.
    See above.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    What's the deal with the Inforce WMLs? I really like the simplicity and form factor.
    I like these a lot for their activation. The candlepower or lumens or beam, or whatever its called works very well for me. I like the flip up lockout safety doodad. They are very lightweight and won’t turn your gun muzzle-heavy. I don’t think they would handle much abuse, but I have them on a few of my personally owned guns. They are mounted at 12 o’clock, where they won’t see much abuse, anyway. I think they’re a great choice for home d and wish Surefire and Elzetta would steal the activation method and integrated mount.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    The new Warrior X is going on sale Friday. It is actually double hulled for durability and the first light to be actually drop tested 1200 times at 2m at different angles. It's performance numbers is higher than any stock light out there right now...by a wide margin. Can't go wrong for this kind of deal. The kit comes with a mount and the new magnetically attached tape switch. I would get a different mount like the qd Vltor mentioned above, but for $104, that's a steal.

https://www.olightstore.com/flash-sale
    Do you work for Olight?

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    37 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dperdue View Post
    It’s going to be my home defense rifle. I live in a rural area. It’s 302 yards from my front door, to my nearest neighbor’s front door. I also live a short drive from the Alliance PD range, and I’d love to do one of the shoot house classes there, which is going to require a carbine light.

I currently have a TLR1 on the Glock 17 I keep in my nightstand.
    Do the shoot class at Alliance with Joe Weyer, his low light lecture will answer all your questions. Get the best light your budget will allow, I would recommend the Surefire DF Scout. I'll be traveling back to Alliance for a couple more times this year, the first of which is next weekend. If a date you pick for a class lines up with one of mine I'll give you my spare to use for the class, PM me. Guys will say and make all kinds of claims of how many lumens you need or this light is better then that, and I know I'm just some guy...right. Make your decision off of facts and "your" experience. "Doing work" with the light and "moving through your home" are 2 different animals. I can promise you if you take a FoF class at Alliance and have 2 lights available to use, use the DF Scout on your first run then the 600-1000 lumen light on your second, I promise you will only use the DF Scout the rest of the class. My first trip/class at Alliance I had a Surefire X300U mounted on my carbine, that changed as soon as I returned home. 2nd piece of advice, don't waste money on a pressure pad to activate the light, mount the light so it can be activated with your thumb from your normal firing grip.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Do you work for Olight?

No. I am on their mailing list and report flash sales to help members on the forum to get good deals. Do you work for Surefire?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast