Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Help picking a carbine light

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    regardless, they are the first to even drop test a light at all. If they took a sample of 1, any doubters, me included, would call them on that. The glass itself is 3mm thick.
    Dude. About 30 seconds on Google showed that both Elzetta and Cloud defensive drop test their lights to a recognized standard, and beyond. So pleae stop spreading misinformation about Oolight being the sole manufacturer that drops their lights.

Aaron Cowen has a youtube video trying to break an OWL. Some dude opened a coconut with an Elzetta, which by the way has a very thick lens, probably more than 3mm.

The entirety of the 75th Ranger Regiment, Delta, Special Forces, etc, have collectively beat the $h!+ out of a large sample of Surefires.

As to the 80,000 candela “trouncing” every other weaponlight out there, GTFO of here with that. I don’t even need to know WTF a candela is. Surefire and Elzetta work, and are not “trounced” by anything China has to offer. Are there better options, maybe. But not “trounced”.

Do you work for Oolight, or is it just the only light you’ve ever used?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Dude. About 30 seconds on Google showed that both Elzetta and Cloud defensive drop test their lights to a recognized standard, and beyond. So pleae stop spreading misinformation about Oolight being the sole manufacturer that drops their lights.

Aaron Cowen has a youtube video trying to break an OWL. Some dude opened a coconut with an Elzetta, which by the way has a very thick lens, probably more than 3mm.

The entirety of the 75th Ranger Regiment, Delta, Special Forces, etc, have collectively beat the $h!+ out of a large sample of Surefires.

As to the 80,000 candela “trouncing” every other weaponlight out there, GTFO of here with that. I don’t even need to know WTF a candela is. Surefire and Elzetta work, and are not “trounced” by anything China has to offer. Are there better options, maybe. But not “trounced”.

Do you work for Oolight, or is it just the only light you’ve ever used?
    Ah, I was unaware of the standard they had. Thanks. Good to know. The standard is 1m at 6 different angles. The Warrior X doubles that. https://www.streamlight.com/docs/def.../ansi-pres.pdf

If you'd bother to read posts other than going into instant "butt hurt mode" you would have read that I know that Surefires and Elzettas are reliable and have a proven track record and that I don't own a Warrior X, it is new. I have a modded EagTac light that trounces the Warrior X.

As for not knowing what a candela is (which is also easily found on Google btw), it is a performance rating of a flashlights throw. For you to not to know what a candela is and then say that Surefire and Elzetta isn't trounced, is like not knowing how fast a cars top speed is and then saying your car is just as fast. Kind of ridiculous man. Seriously. Hard to take you seriously after that statement. I know you have experience with other lights that work. That's good. I am not or have ever knocked those manufacturers for their durability or widespread use. What I do criticize, is their high prices and less performance.

Btw, the OWL has 50,000 candela and the Elzetta Bravo has 9050, and the Surefire Scout M600DF has 16000 candela. Other than the OWL, which is still bested by 60%, the other are thoroughly trounced.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 03-22-19 at 09:39.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I didn’t say that I don’t know what a candela is. I said that I don’t NEED to know what a candela is. In the context that proven, non-Chinese lights work well, regardless of what the website says the lumens and candela are.

Most guys that kick doors for a living cannot tell you the candela of the lights they are using. Its just not as important as you think.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I didn’t say that I don’t know what a candela is. I said that I don’t NEED to know what a candela is. In the context that proven, non-Chinese lights work well, regardless of what the website says the lumens and candela are.

Most guys that kick doors for a living cannot tell you the candela of the lights they are using. Its just not as important as you think.
    I see you are of from the "Never Chinese" group. Most are hypocrites btw. I don't think the OP is kicking in doors. He mentioned a rural area and he was 302 yards from his nearest neighbors front door. In this situation, candela is more important than a door kicking in situation, don't you think?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I see you are of from the "Never Chinese" group.
    That group may be much larger than you realize. I avoid the Chi-com stuff when ever possible not only due to suspect design and quality, but for the blatant theft of intellectual property and knock-off of American products that Communist China is renown for. Here is just one example that makes my blood boil;

American designed and made - http://www.accu-tac.com/bipods

Blatant Chi-com knock off - https://www.ebay.com/itm/QD-Bipod-Bl...kAAOSwa6Jb7y~1

This is just one example of the countless knock-offs that U.S. consumers can purchase, often at a tiny fraction of the price of the genuine article. Not that all Chi-com companies engage in this practice, but make no mistake that Communist China is sanctioning these practices, resulting in de facto economic warfare on the U.S. As such, I will avoid at all costs anything that comes from that country.

Count me a happy camper supporting American companies and paying more for known quality, even when I can buy a Chi-com knock-off at 1/10th the price.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I see you are of from the "Never Chinese" group. Most are hypocrites btw. I don't think the OP is kicking in doors. He mentioned a rural area and he was 302 yards from his nearest neighbors front door. In this situation, candela is more important than a door kicking in situation, don't you think?
    I’ll concede that the thread has drifted, and I am at least partly at fault for that.
    RLTW

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    That group may be much larger than you realize. I avoid the Chi-com stuff when ever possible not only due to suspect design and quality, but for the blatant theft of intellectual property and knock-off of American products that Communist China is renown for. Here is just one example that makes my blood boil;

American designed and made - http://www.accu-tac.com/bipods

Blatant Chi-com knock off - https://www.ebay.com/itm/QD-Bipod-Bl...kAAOSwa6Jb7y~1

This is just one example of the countless knock-offs that U.S. consumers can purchase, often at a tiny fraction of the price of the genuine article. Not that all Chi-com companies engage in this practice, but make no mistake that Communist China is sanctioning these practices, resulting in de facto economic warfare on the U.S. As such, I will avoid at all costs anything that comes from that country.

Count me a happy camper supporting American companies and paying more for known quality, even when I can buy a Chi-com knock-off at 1/10th the price.
    I understand you on the theft of intellectual property thing, but in this thread, the light I mentioned has innovations in it that nobody has done yet. So there was no theft and is not a knock off. What then?

Supporting American is good...until it isn't. If you are buying American, just for that sole reason with no other advantages, then you are actually doing the industry a disservice. It stifles innovation, competitive pricing, and eventually quality. Look at what that did to the car industry in the 70's and early 80's. If a company knows they have to be competitive price wise, quality wise, and performance wise, they keep advancing the industry. If their product gets bought (government contracts, etc) no matter what, there is no motivation to do so and their own "fan base" ends up being their demise.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 03-22-19 at 11:26.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    So let's say for the sake of argument that this light has Surefire or Malkoff written on it. Here are my questions/concerns;

I do not like controlling output via the tailcap switch. Under stress I don't want to have to press the switch just-so to get the output I want. A bezel switch (like Malkoff) or tailcap switch (like Elzetta) would be my preference for high-low mode selection, that can be set before activating the light.

The mount looks like it positions the light too high above the rail and with no offset.

I've already mentioned my concerns with a remote switch held on the light with just a magnet.

As is usually the case with those "eye-popping lumen ratings" it will only hold maximum output for 90 seconds, after which it drops down to a rather pedestrian 600 lumens. My Malkoff HD 18650 will hold north of 600 lumens for over an hour on the same 18650 cell.

Spare parts?

Does the tailcap design or remote switch impart parasitic drain?

I don't want/need the light to vibrate when the battery gets low (seems like unnecessary hardware to fail). I can detect that myself with beam intensity, and using a protected cell eliminates over discharge.

Perhaps superficial, but for aesthetics I prefer understated designs.

And since it doesn't have Surefire or Malkoff written on it, what will it's real-life-use durability prove to be?

I'm not seeing how this product is any better, and points where for my expectations it's clearly not as good as what I'm already using. Regardless of the brand name, call me unimpressed and uninterested (but perhaps mildly amused).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    So let's say for the sake of argument that this light has Surefire or Malkoff written on it. Here are my questions/concerns;
    I do not like controlling output via the tailcap switch. Under stress I don't want to have to press the switch just-so to get the output I want. A bezel switch (like Malkoff) or tailcap switch (like Elzetta) would be my preference for high-low mode selection, that can be set before activating the light.
    Understood. But in most situations, it is on or off. Full press or no

The mount looks like it positions the light too high above the rail and with no offset.
    Use your own mount. The one that comes in the kit is just a bonus

I've already mentioned my concerns with a remote switch held on the light with just a magnet.
    Don't use it. There are advantages to a magnet like not ripping the wire out of your tailcap and rendering it useless. I like tail caps anyway too

As is usually the case with those "eye-popping lumen ratings" it will only hold maximum output for 90 seconds, after which it drops down to a rather pedestrian 600 lumens. My Malkoff HD 18650 will hold north of 600 lumens for over an hour on the same 18650 cell.
    True, all depending on temperature...it is a thermal stepdown. How long would you really need your weaponlight to be on for long range identification? It will hold the 600 lumens for 1hr 20 minutes

Spare parts?
    Their CS was good to me and sent me an RMA for a little S10 Baton pretty quickly. The remote switch will be sold separately. I am sure you can contact them and buy a separate tailcap

Does the tailcap design or remote switch impart parasitic drain?
    It has the same tailcap as the M2R Warrior - it has 54µA of parasitic drain. In other words, pretty meaningless.

I don't want/need the light to vibrate when the battery gets low (seems like unnecessary hardware to fail). I can detect that myself with beam intensity, and using a protected cell eliminates over discharge.
    OK. Phone vibrators last forever. It isn't high tech wizardry. If it is regulated, which this is, you won't get a really dim mode before running out of battery, it will just shut off. Real dim is useless anyway. Here is a pretty well done review with runtime, lumen output, and thermal charts: https://zeroair.org/2019/02/05/oligh...er_and_Runtime

Perhaps superficial, but for aesthetics I prefer understated designs.

And since it doesn't have Surefire or Malkoff written on it, what will it's real-life-use durability prove to be?
    I don't know, but you gotta start somewhere man. On paper though, it is pretty well built you have to admit. Give credit where credit is due

I'm not seeing how this product is any better, and points where for my expectations it's clearly not as good as what I'm already using. Regardless of the brand name, call me unimpressed and uninterested (but perhaps mildly amused).
    That is totally your prerogative. As far as not being any better. Like both of us not knowing its real life use, durability and such, in turn, you also don't know if its any better
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 03-22-19 at 14:05.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Well Adrenaline 6, you may not have convinced me on the light but I sure do admire your passion and perseverance in the debate. I can only assume you do the same in defense of our 2A rights.

Live free or die!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast