Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Help picking a carbine light

Feedback Score
    Get a surefire and be done with it. In my experience with the stream lights I have owned with the TLR-7 being the most recent, they don't even stand up to moderate use.
    Last edited by tacticaldesire; 05-13-19 at 16:28.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I currently run a TLR-1 HL on 45* Offset M-Lok. Just a tad bit barrel shadow, otherwise I love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    M600DF.

/endthread

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    M600DF.

/endthread
    Ditto.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    M600DF with a modlite head, that is if you are looking at buying a Surefire DF. If not the I like the Arisaka lights I have one on my 11.5 and I have used the Streamlights and they are nice, not as rugged as the others but the beams are nice and serviceable.
    Last edited by Nowski87; 07-11-19 at 08:00.

Feedback Score
    I was in a similar position. My HD 16” wears a TLR 1 in front of the FSP at 12 O’clock. Just built a HD 11.5” and that wouldn’t work for me. After a few weeks of research I went with the Arisaka 300 with a Surefire tape switch in a Cloud Defensive Mount. Just mounted it today on an Arisaka in-line. Almost went with the Surefire M300 but the Arisaka was slimmer and lighter...and on sale this past week..

"A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    I have two kinds of carbine lights. Surefires, and Streamlights. I prefer the Surefire scout lights as I know they are built extremely rugged. They are too expensive to have on each weapon, however. My Streamlights are new to me, and haven't had as much use yet. The switches on these are bulkier, but they work fine, and are almost as bright. I like that they accept either a CR123 or a "AA" battery.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have an old SF G2 on my AR which desperately needs to be replaced, solely due to the incandescent bulb. Toughness-wise, it's handled everything I've thrown at it as a patrol rifle light for about seven years.

I've always used Streamlight TLR lights on my pistols and have never had an issue (+/- 15 years?). I never did like the switching on the SF pistol lights, but that could just be due to the SL lights. I've also had Stingers (incandescent) and currently LED and the only reason I gave up the old incandescent was due to the bulb and battery burning out and moving up to LED. My favorite big light by far was the SuperStinger - I adamantly wish they'd make a new version with a 1500 Lumen head. I use a HL5-X currently and it's almost TOO MUCH light.

As a side question since I'm looking at a new carbine light to replace that old G2: I'm seeing a lot of folks advocating/moving to clicky tailcaps instead of momentary - any reason in particular or did I miss a memo or TTP?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Scout View Post
    I have an old SF G2 on my AR which desperately needs to be replaced, solely due to the incandescent bulb. Toughness-wise, it's handled everything I've thrown at it as a patrol rifle light for about seven years.

..Snip..

As a side question since I'm looking at a new carbine light to replace that old G2: I'm seeing a lot of folks advocating/moving to clicky tailcaps instead of momentary - any reason in particular or did I miss a memo or TTP?
    If you want to keep that G2 on your rifle, but modernize it, Malkoff makes an LED conversion with reduced output that is safe to use with the G2’s plastic head. It’ll still be brighter than the incandescent bulb.

I’ve always preferred the tactile feel of clicky tailcaps, and have added them to lights in the past. I’ve really liked the ones that came on the huge Millennium lights, and stashed a couple. I’m just now warming up to momentary tailcaps. The ones back in the day sucked, IMO, due to lack of tactile feedback wearing gloves and if you didn’t press hard enough they would flicker. Other guys have liked the momentary buttons all along.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    I was in a similar position. My HD 16” wears a TLR 1 in front of the FSP at 12 O’clock. Just built a HD 11.5” and that wouldn’t work for me. After a few weeks of research I went with the Arisaka 300 with a Surefire tape switch in a Cloud Defensive Mount. Just mounted it today on an Arisaka in-line. Almost went with the Surefire M300 but the Arisaka was slimmer and lighter...and on sale this past week..

Would you happen to have a side pic that shows how far along the flash hider the light goes?

Currently debating a few lights and the arisaka is high on my list.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567