Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Get Ready for a Nasty Tax Season Surprise

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I got a $6 federal refund. I was pretty damn happy with that.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    We got less back, but I fully expected too. Almost everyone paid less into taxes over the year, so by paying less in you get less back. I had a pretty big increase and specifically more on 10-99s. I also feel like there were several warnings put out since the tax law changes about this.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    All of my income was non- taxable, dropping us down a tax bracket, that coupled with the baby and having a mortgage to write off, we came out slightly better than the previous year.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I was extremely happy with mine. I got back 2-3 times what I normally pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Had the same thing!

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I make more than I ever have and my taxes were the lowest I’ve ever had in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I was extremely happy with mine. I got back 2-3 times what I normally pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I owe a little bit this year due to a non-taxed lawsuit settlement- otherwise I would’ve broken even. The biggest change for me is the current and future lack of charitable donations

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I owe every year, but I did have a lower overall tax bill so I was pleased at the end result. Paid in less throughout the year and I'll be sending a smaller check than anticipated in April.
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    Most people had less withheld all year.

It was actually meant to be a tax break.

I was stuck for about ten percent less on the same income compared to the old system.

I was worried about the new SALT limits.
    Between the increased standard deduction and new brackets it made up for it.

A ton of people are complaining their refund was less or they owed money.
    Most of these people actually owed less in taxes compared to the old system.

Some people ended up worse off. But not the feds fault. It is because they live in a state that taxes their income and property very disproportionately compared to other states for their level of income and property values.

Basically, it was meant to be a tax break. But some states tax so much there was a hole for some that did not make enough to be better off under the new palm.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    Ours was a significant increase over last year, as was the return of several others at the college I teach at. Go figure.
    Needless to say - we are quite pleased.YMMV

geezer john
    A local college professor is a regular guest on a morning talk radio show and he claims he paid $6000 more in taxes and his fellow professors had similar expiriences. This is in Alabama, where house prices and taxes are moderate. Of course, he is the liberal voice on a consetvative show.

For what it is worth, I paid slightly less tax this year.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-21-19 at 07:26.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    What happened was the law went into effect but the IRS didn’t have time to get guidance out on what the new with holdings should be. So yeah people got caught flat footed because they never adjusted for the change. It’s all timing related.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast