Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taxing the Weather: Can We Just Go Ahead and Call It Tyranny?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Tim Hawkins sums it up nicely in this little ditty.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh6f5Go0
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Why isn't New Jersey satisfied with worrying about trans-sexual pronouns, global warming, and plastic straws like every other leftist government?
    Because then you're just like every other leftist government. You need something that makes you stand out, that makes you, you!

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    So if you are a homeowner if FLORIDA you are required to purchase a separate windstorm policy in addition to your homeowners insurance. This "add on" is frequently twice the cost of your standard homeowner insurance policy.

And part of that windstorm policy is a Katrina recovery fee that was not optional. So for all of the years I lived in FLORIDA, I was required to pay for insurance costs in LOUISIANA as a result of Katrina. I don't remember any other state helping defer my costs after Hurricane Wilma cranked us up, I do remember paying one hell of a deductible and the insurance company deciding to not cover a lot of my damage.

Insurance is basically a scam, especially when it's not optional.
    All insurance is optional...... now that that individual mandate for the ACA is gone.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    I had to Google the law to see what it actually says. This article kind of sums it up. Basically if Walmart comes in and builds a gigantic asphalt parking lot the municipality would then be saddled with upgrading all the storm water drainage network downstream from it. As it stands now that money has to come from the municipality's budget. This law allows the municipality to specifically tax that Walmart to cover the cost of all the now necessary downstream infrastructure upgrades, instead of just eating it in the existing budget.

I may be missing the point but the law makes sense to me and doesn't seem tyrannical at all.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...ng/3201036002/
    That's the way it works down here but they don't call it a tax. They call it an impact fee and payment is required before a building permit is issued. Even residential projects have to have an approved drainage plan and maintain an assigned ratio of impervious to pervious surfaces. I have no problem with it if the money is spent on what it is collected for. I do doubt that will be the case in NJ.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What’s next a Thumb Tax?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I see what you did there

Feedback Score

Taxing the Weather: Can We Just Go Ahead and Call It Tyranny?

This type of tax, fee, Levy, whatever you want to call it has been in place on the municipal level for a long time. When I lived in Lakeland, FL 10 plus years ago the city charged a fee similar to this every month, it was included in our utility bill. The small town I currently live in also charges a similar fee, it’s labeled as a stormwater utility fee and it’s based on the amount of impervious surface on your property.

The simple fact is, there is a lot of impervious surface and the majority of MS4 systems (municipal separate storm sewer system) are old and outdated, so when it rains more than normal there is usually flooding in a lot of built up areas.

The money generated from the stormwater fee is used solely to improve and upgrade our city MS4 and I’m good with it, I don’t want to deal with flooding.

That article was a little bit clickbait. I like Zerohdge, but that site pushes a good amount of clickbait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tgizzard; 03-22-19 at 12:19.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12