Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New toy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    The ACOG is a combat sight that doesn't actually do a lot of things well. There is a great thread on here in the Optics forum that goes into all of the limitations and why some of our most knowledgeable shooters (and also vets) love them and hate them at the same time. For civilian use they're more "tacticool" than useful. For what you would spend on it you really would be better served with a decent 1-4 or 1-8 rifle scope. I may have missed it, but what's your optics budget?
    Prob around 3-4hundred. I've already bought some flip down sights.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    An LBGT-Q/LPVO is mandatory at this point.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    An LBGT-Q/LPVO is mandatory at this point.
    Ohh I wish that was one of mine.

An ACOG can be good if you accept it for what it is. A step above iron sights and squinting that is rugged towards neglect.

Otherwise for your own money a 1-4 can be had for same price and even Trijicon makes them.

I saw an article in American Rifleman where homeboy put a 3-9 on a weaver mount on his CAR-15 so really this variable power on a carbine is settled science and more accessible than ever

ETA don’t over think BUIS. I have magpuls on my M110K1 clone. I WAS going to get KAC tactical practical sights but really these do the same thing when I use them which is never.
    Last edited by Firefly; 03-23-19 at 10:32.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleB223 View Post
    Deer, coyote, mostly

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Deer at 300 yards?? I hope you have plenty of time to look for them unless you just want to put a hole in them and let them die in the next county. Hunting deer at 300 yards with 223/556 is irresponsible IMO. You never mentioned the rifle build. Maybe you are ashamed of it's pedigree. Let's say it is good and it shoots 1.5 MOA with decent ammunition. Maybe you can hold another 1.5 MOA at 300 with an improvised rest but I doubt it. Your chances of dropping a deer in its tracks at 300 yards are slim to none! Attempting stunts like this is what gives hunters bad rep.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    How often are you going to be able to get out to shoot varying size targets at 300 yards? If your eyesight is good and you practice shooting at these distances regularly then I would not see a problem. Projectile selection for hunting deer with 5.56/.223 will play a key role so practicing with your choice of load to know how much it is effected by wind and temperature will be an important factor. Spend some time in the Terminal Ballistics and Hunting section of this forum.

Being honest I would take more time to get money together for glass that will give you the greatest sharpness and visual clarity.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Sportsman's Warehouse is clearing out Leupold VX-R patrol scopes right now. The 3-9 model is priced at $499 if I recall correctly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Brownells has Viper PST II 1-6s for $599 with a Brownells branded Warne mount.

What kind of gun is that anyway?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234