Thread: Weird leg pain

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score

Weird leg pain

This weird leg pain started about 2 months ago. It is a dull ache in my lower left shin from the knee to the top of the foot. It comes and goes with no rhyme or reason. Sometimes it will start when I am walking around, other times I can be sitting or lying in bed. It feels similar to a shin splint type pain but I don't run anymore so I can't blame it on running. The only correlation to anything I have done lately is shortly be for it started I did a one rep personal best hex bar dead lift of 250. A trainer at the gym said try stretching by pushing the foot down and it is painful on the top of the foot when I do it, more so then the right foot.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I was going to say shin splint but you beat me to it. I’m no expert on the subject but run a good bit and get all kinds of weird pains in my legs so I was hoping to learn something from the thread.

Feedback Score
    I may have an answer for you in a couple of days.

Feedback Score
    This is the answer, I had the leg and foot X-rayed about about 3 weeks ago. I thought it might be a stress fracture but nothing showed up on the X-ray. Two nights ago I am laying in bed with my left left leg bent and my left ankle lying on my right thigh just above the knee. I go to straighten the left leg and hear two loud pops with no associated pain, leg is now fine. I have no clue what it could have been but it seems the dead lift dislocated something in the knee and it popped back into place. There was never any swelling or bruising of the knee. Only likely thing I found on Google is this.

Isolated traumatic dislocation of the proximal tibiofibular joint is rare. This injury may go unrecognized or be misdiagnosed at the initial presentation. Lack of clinical suspicion can cause diagnostic problems. The diagnosis requires an accurate history of the mechanism and symptoms of the injury, and adequate clinical and radiographic evaluation of both knees.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    So, in scientific medical terms, you tweaked your knee huh?
    Glad your leg is feeling better though. From your initial description I thought shin splints too. Probably do it well to spend an extra few minutes on warm up pre lifts and then stretch it out post lift. I'm finding those two things are even more important at this stage in my life. (oh man I just died a little inside saying that sentence)

In my right leg I notice some tension below the knee if my quads are tight from the previous lift day. Everything is connected and I tend to forget about that until I stretch out of desperation and remember I never stretched out after killing weights...and I'm formally schooled in Health/Fitness. Knowledge is nothing without application.

Feedback Score
    It wasn't a cold lift, I had started at 170 x 5, 180 x 4, 190 X 3, 210 x 2 and 220 x 1 and then went to 250. I had done 240 in the past.
    Typically, dislocation occurs when the knee is held in flexion and the foot is rotated and plantar flexed.
    I think my left heel may have come up off the floor and my foot may have been pointed too much to the left during the lift, just a guess as to the cause. In the process I think a nerve got pinched.