Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AK suppressor alignment on pined and welded flash hider

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Would be nice if they could just ship that crap from the factory correctly at 12 o'clock. If Colt ever shipped a 6920 like that the internet would collectively loose it's f-ing minds. People shouldn't have to whack their sights with a mallet and bend pins just to have their front sights where they are supposed to be from the factory.
    The primary issue here with the Arsenal rifles is that they most likely do ship from the factory with everything lined up correctly. It's the monkeys at Arsenal in Nevada installing the banned from import components who screw it up. I would say that they have extremely poor QC, but I think that would be giving them more credit than is due. Apparently they have no QC at all. Their customer service is equally as horrible. When it comes to AK configurations, Arsenal is far and away ahead of everyone else. When it comes to quality, a myth has developed that their quality corresponds to the great assortment of configurations that they offer. It's absolutely not true, but difficult to convince people otherwise, especially those who have never owned one.

Feedback Score
    Thank you everyone that weighed in in the suppressor alignment issue. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    My 2 cents - I totally dont think its worth suppressing an AK. Its an open system and gas goes everywhere. Because of this it has a significant bark at the ear. I have a few that are configured as you mention and I rarely shoot them suppressed.

That being said, a lot of AK boars are often off center so if you just throw a suppressor on the end you will get baffle strikes. The right way to do it is to put the barrel in a lathe and indicate off the ID of the bore and then thread off that. Depending on the lathe and the gun the barrel may have to be pulled to do this. So you could see why there would be an added expense vs a quick cut job and doing the threads by hand. You are going to have better luck with the bore being on center with an Arsenal vs a wasr if you want to roll the dice.

Personally I would SBR it. If I didnt do that I would spend the extra $100 and make sure it's done right. I would also make sure they guarantee the alignment so if you have anissues down the road they will fix it.
    ^This was especially helpful and did explain why the cost could be justified. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Would be nice if they could just ship that crap from the factory correctly at 12 o'clock. If Colt ever shipped a 6920 like that the internet would collectively loose it's f-ing minds. People shouldn't have to whack their sights with a mallet and bend pins just to have their front sights where they are supposed to be from the factory.

It was something people put up with when SAR and Maadi rifles were $299 and Bulgarians were only $399 but honestly even then there was no excuse. If anyone held the AK (from any country) to the same standard of criticism as the AR, it would be considered one of the worst rifles in the world.

That is why there isn't an AK chart.

I like AKs, I can appreciate what they are and are not and I still enjoy collecting and shooting them. But it's a commie rifle built with a commie mindset of "good enough" and people champion how it performs in dust rooms but at the same time overlook huge, major flaws found on most rifles.

The fact that even with the 100 series you can encounter rifles with wonky sights (both front and rear) is just disgraceful and very, very preventable.

Fixing sight cant is just the unfortunate small price to pay when owning the pinnacle of firearms design.

RR77
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 03-26-19 at 15:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    Fixing sight cant is just the unfortunate small price to pay when owning the pinnacle of firearms design.
    It has nothing to do with the design and everything to do with not giving a crap enough to put a simple manufacturing fixture in place. Anyone who cares can line up barrel components. If I can do it myself, then any factory can. This includes the Arsenal monkeys in Nevada.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    It has nothing to do with the design and everything to do with not giving a crap enough to put a simple manufacturing fixture in place. Anyone who cares can line up barrel components. If I can do it myself, then any factory can. This includes the Arsenal monkeys in Nevada.
    Agree, they don't care and now it's hurting their sales as they have damaged their reputation.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I had Two Rivers Arms cut/pin/weld mine to 14.5", along with doing the threading concentric to the bore. Cost wasn't bad either.

Feedback Score
    This is why I suggested the Dead Air Wolverine PBS-1. The only suppressor designed specifically for AK's on the US market. No need for special threading just to add some aftermarket US made suppressor mount. The Wolverine suppressor has a slightly larger hole running through the baffles to counter slightly non concentric factory threaded barrels. It has adapters for AKM 14x1LH and AK-74 24.5x1.5RH.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12