Thread: Ar15

Feedback Score

Ar15

Having a AR15 with a twist of 1 in 7 what would the ideal grains be for accurate group ??

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    55-77

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rick10mm View Post
    Having a AR15 with a twist of 1 in 7 what would the ideal grains be for accurate group ??
    The "Search" feature on this site is really amazing. You should try it.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/google.php...536j3442450j10

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rick10mm View Post
    Every barrel is a law unto itself. The only way to tell is to try different loads and see what shoots best. Ammo quality often matters more than bullet length (bullet length & shape determines what twist it needs, not weight).

I have a 1:7 barrel that shoots under 1 MOA with Federal Gold Medal Match loaded with the Sierra 77 gr MK BTHP and about 2 MOA with Federal XM193 55 gr FMJ. While this seems to follow the rule of thumb that the 1:7 twist prefers longer bullets, it shoots better with quality ammo loaded for precision regardless of bullet weight. The result is that shorter (generally lighter) bullets from quality ammo shoot better than "blaster" ammo using longer (generally heavier) bullets. That said, I have to point out this barrel shoots best with the Federal Gold Medal Match with the 77 gr MK BTHP.

However, you have to ask yourself, what do you plan to do with your AR? Although the Federal XM193 only gives me about 2-3 MOA across all my ARs, it's what I shoot the most because $.31 - $.35 per round is much more affordable than $1.00 per round. The extra precision of the Gold Medal Match isn't an advantage during training or informal shooting.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Every barrel is a law unto itself. The only way to tell is to try different loads and see what shoots best. Ammo quality often matters more than bullet length (bullet length & shape determines what twist it needs, not weight).

I have a 1:7 barrel that shoots under 1 MOA with Federal Gold Medal Match loaded with the Sierra 77 gr MK BTHP and about 2 MOA with Federal XM193 55 gr FMJ. While this seems to follow the rule of thumb that the 1:7 twist prefers longer bullets, it shoots better with quality ammo loaded for precision regardless of bullet weight. The result is that shorter (generally lighter) bullets from quality ammo shoot better than "blaster" ammo using longer (generally heavier) bullets. That said, I have to point out this barrel shoots best with the Federal Gold Medal Match with the 77 gr MK BTHP.

However, you have to ask yourself, what do you plan to do with your AR? Although the Federal XM193 only gives me about 2-3 MOA across all my ARs, it's what I shoot the most because $.31 - $.35 per round is much more affordable than $1.00 per round. The extra precision of the Gold Medal Match isn't an advantage during training or informal shooting.
    That is information I did not know. Prior to your post I thought the only variable was weight of the bullet. About price, yes I buy Walmart roughly 32 cents per round ammo. It is 55 grain. Why zero or get started with precision 77 grain if you are going to use 55 in emergencies, defense or SHTF? I tried 62g. in my 1:7 and it made no difference at all. Good work MistWolf.

Feedback Score

AR15 Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    That is information I did not know. Prior to your post I thought the only variable was weight of the bullet. About price, yes I buy Walmart roughly 32 cents per round ammo. It is 55 grain. Why zero or get started with precision 77 grain if you are going to use 55 in emergencies, defense or SHTF? I tried 62g. in my 1:7 and it made no difference at all. Good work MistWolf.

Thanks everyone for all the info you have offered, I have lots of work to do......