Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock mag catch (emergency mag catch spring post# 15)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    This is accurate info. We had several departmental Gen 4 G21s that would drop mags. These were assembled incorrectly at the factory. The brain trust that put our guns together did so by putting the bottom of the mag catch spring in and pushing it forward. He then slid in the mag catch. This saved him about 10 seconds but put a bend in the spring. I would remove the mag catch spring and roll it on a table. You'll find out very quickly if it is bent.
    The mag catch spring must be bent slightly forward to "disconnect" the mag catch spring from the mag catch (and as taught in Glock Armorers school). It's just how much of a bend can that spring take and how often. I now will totally pull the mag catch spring out as soon as I can if/when working on the mag catch area of a Glock to hopefully alleviate any undue amount of spring bending. I also now keep a spare mag catch spring in my small parts inventory.

Thanks for the info regarding Glock's faulty assembly process. This mag catch/mag dropping issue doesn't get much publicity on the various gun forums.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ive got a post on here about a year or so old, where I told about my Glock 41 that started dropping mags at about 1000 or 1100 rounds or so I think it was.
    LOVED that damn gun but traded it off as it wouldnt fire 2-3 rounds w/o mag falling out. Was asking at the time if there was an "extra power" type mag catch spring that would help.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Slightly extended, not anywhere near extreme. My arthritic thumbs can find it.

GLOCK OEM EXTENDED - REVERSIBLE MAGAZINE RELEASE SP08794 GEN 4-5

https://www.ndzperformance.com/Glock...lk-sp08794.htm
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    Well, its still happening, only with 2 mags.
    17 mags, +2 extensions, downloaded to 18rds... never had this issue in 7500rds, just started.
    2 magazines with no issue are not used for reload practice, and I Downloaded them by 5 rounds for rest of match- and seated them...robustly.

On the way:
    New extended mag catch (i may be hitting the stock- hard to explain but i think the extended would be less prone to accidental hitting)
    New mag catch spring
    2 new mags- these will be set for practice only until this is sorted out...

Edit: switched sides on the mag catch and it still happens, even with a relatively new mag.
    I think that narrows it down to carch spring or a loose frame- couldnt see any cracks in it.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-03-19 at 18:12.

Feedback Score
    Update: It looms like it was the spring.
    Ill do a final update once I verify reliability with the new spring and catch.

On a side note, in an emergency, a glock mag spring straightened out and sanded to the proper diameter works in a pinch (got me through a match with no issues). I could’t source a replacement in time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12