Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 300BLK max "reasonable" range?

Feedback Score
    I have two 300 BOs.

A 16 inch and a 10 inch.

I use 200m for supers and 100m for subs as a rule of thumb.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    I have two 300 BOs.

A 16 inch and a 10 inch.

I use 200m for supers and 100m for subs as a rule of thumb.
    Cool. Kind of along the lines of what I was thinking, and given your background I'll make note of it.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    I have no special, tactical experience with the round.
    I only have a fraction of a perfect of experience with it on animals vs 30-06, .270, etc.

With longer range man stoppers and game droppers, you are typically dealing with 3000fps. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a good bit more.

My opinion is mainly based on range time only.
    For subs you want to be not much over 1000fps.
    Sound really refracts and seems louder and travels farther in the cold, and cracking the speed of sound is easier when you are freezing your ass off. Playing at the desert range at 110 degrees as your only use you can use faster subs, but for simplicity let’s round off to 1000.

The 300 Subs act a lot like 147gn 9mm, 165gn 40, 185-200 45ACP, 45 Colt (factory type loads- no 44Mag rivaling handloads for your Ruger or Marlin), and real light 38s.
    While some of these hit harder or lighter, they have pretty similar trajectories, and pretty similar run out of oomph ranges.

The supers act a hell of a lot like 30-30 and 7.62 x 39. Sort of in the middle between the 1000fps and 3000fps cartridges.
    You can play with your zero, or use BDC reticles, etc. but tend to drop a lot past 200.

From talking to guys that drop a ton of animals with particular calibers,
    I add that in.

For my ability, accuracy, calibers, guns, damage at that range, etc.
    My 1000 FPS-ish stuff my rule of thumb is 100m

For 2000 FPS-ish stuff, 200m.

For 3000 FPSish and up stuff, 300m.

Sure, if you are a marauding post apoptalypic war lord coming at me on a motorcycle with an Uzi mounted to the headlight 500m away, I’ll try to wing it with any of the above.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I generally use the 50 yard IBSZ for my AR's. I know it's primarily for 5.56 but I zeroed the 300BLK at 50yds also. I haven't looked up a graph to see what my drops would be though. Like I said earlier, 200yds is what I'm primarily concerned with knowing the drop for, as anything beyond is better served by 5.56 on up.
    Youre damn close to optimal with a 50yd zero. I have a suppressed 9" 300BLK and ran some different zero distances through JBM using Barnes 110 Tac-TX and compared the following zero ranges:

50/120M, 60/100M, 40/150M, and 30/200M.

I finally settled on the 150M zero for a couple of reasons:

1) Bullet rise over line of sight is never greater than 1.5" out to 200M.
    2) Bullet drop at 200M is 4.5" below line of sight
    3) This zero had the second widest Point Blank Range on an 8" target (200M zero had the widest, but you will deal with being 4" high at 100M, versus 1.5" high with a 150M zero)

If you opt for a 200M zero, then, as previously stated, your bullet will be nearly 4" high at 100M but you will also experience the least drop at distance (7" low at 250M.) The 50M, 100M, and 150M track 15" low, 16.3" low, and 12.5" low respectively at 250M.

Drops at 200M for each of these zeroes is as follows: 50M zero: -6.5". 100M zero: -7.5". 150M zero: -4.5". 200M zero: 0.0" (obviously)

I threw this together a while ago and put it in a spreadsheet, of which I am using for reference, so take these numbers with a grain of salt and feel free to double check, but
    this is what I've been able to conclude. Now I just need enough time and ammo to verify it all.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    My 16” barreled .300 Blk has taken Whitetail to 150 yds. with the 110 gr Barnes Black Tip.
    This at a chrono’d 2370 FPS.
    I look at it as a sort of .30/30 WIN. autoloader.
    I've shot deer three times with Black Tip (20-75yds) and recovered the bullets all three times.

The first two bullets were to the same large buck. Round 1 was a liver shot and penetrated fully but got caught up in the hair just outside the exit wound. Since it was to the liver, a second round was needed to dispatch the animal. Round 2 hit about an inch above the asshole and ricocheted off the pelvis and ended up breaking the deers left femur.

Round 3 was a perfect shot on a doe and just the same as the first time, full penetration, but the bullet caught up in the hair outside the exit wound.

They always advertise their great weight retention so I threw them all on the scale when I got home to measure. Now these were all factory loads so I dont know if they were exactly 110 grains before firing, but theyre all close enough that I sure aint complaining about retention.

Round 1: 107.5gr
    Round 2: 107.7gr
    Round 3: 107.7gr

I also measured the min/max expansion and the overall length of each fired bullet which I can post if anybody is interested, but its probably better suited for the Terminal Ballistics subforum.

I found it an odd coincidence two of the bullets fully penetrated but got caught in the hair immediately after exiting. Im used to full pass through with a 30-30 and definitely prefer an exit wound for blood trailing purposes. Ive had 30-30 rounds that didnt penetrate fully but thats generally not the norm. A sample size of three doesnt have much statistical significance, but my general takeaway is over penetration in home defense scenarios shouldnt be a worry. The inverse of that is now it has me wondering if, for hunting purposes, is there enough penetration? Obviously every shot is different and bones and other matter plays a great deal into all this, but it still has me wondering.

Feedback Score
    Please stop shooting a deer until you learn to shoot....

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Just a FYI. Yesterday I chrono'd my 9" (300blk) w/ 144gr FMJ Australian Outback. Muzzle velocity avg was 1830 fps. Days ago, same brand 125gr HP was 1977 fps average.
    What sort of 100 yard groups do you get? I have that ammo. Just curious. I have some operator error issues I need to cure. Would like to have some known basis.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    We've taken a half dozen Whitetail with the 110 BlackTip and H110 at <2400 FPS at the ranch in the last 2 years.

Two, "new to deer hunting"/younger guys used one of my 16" guns from tree stands last year. Both were vetted "shooters" that were range buds.
    The exceedingly mild recoil/report make the .300 an easy rd. to shoot to ones potential.
    Five of the six deer were taken at 100 yds. or less, from stands in timber.

As said, with a trajectory like a rainbow, precise target/yardage data is necessary to make hits at distances of 200 yds or greater.
    In a hunting scenario, ranging is frequently NOT possible due to game movement.

I'll limit my .300 Blk to what has shown to work and keep shots inside 150 yds. It has been reliably effective with this limitation.
    The margin of error (drop) is too great to push the cartridge in my book. We have better cartridges for that task..

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Let's say supers, like 110gr VOR-TX or 110gr GMX moving about 2100fps at the muzzle (approximately where it should be out of a 9" barrel). From a terminal ballistics aspect, what is a "reasonable" range to expect to be able to engage targets from, and expect both the trajectory and the results-on-impact to be acceptable. Maybe 200 yards?

Not max effective range, not max range period. Max you could count on a supersonic wunder-round being able to not have to lob it in like a mortar and reasonably expect the bad guy (or critter) to be reconsidering their efforts?
    AAC said 300 yards back in the day and I think Kevin has restated that recently. 150 yards and in with sub 7", 300 yards and in with 9" and above.
    Last edited by themonk; 05-19-19 at 07:57. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    I look at the .300 as a specialty round. It has two specialties. Short distance, and short barrels. My only reason to have a .300 is that I wanted an small, compact SBR for home defense, and the 5.56 gives up too much out of short barrels. My .300 SBR has an 11.3" barrel, and I only shoot the 110 gr black tip as a duty ammo. I would never try to use it beyond 150 yds unless it was all I had at the time.

Of course other factors are my ever weakening eyesight, me using a red dot, and the fact that I'll never be able to afford to stock up on .300 Blackout like I do with 5.56mm. The price of .300 Blackout ammo would have me much rather stock up on ammo for the 14" .308 AR. I am considering a 7.62x39 upper for its cheap ammo availability, but then I'd need special mags, different bolt...
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 05-19-19 at 08:09.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    I look at the .300 as a specialty round. It has two specialties. Short distance, and short barrels. My only reason to have a .300 is that I wanted an small, compact SBR for home defense, and the 5.56 gives up too much out of short barrels. My .300 SBR has an 11.3" barrel, and I only shoot the 110 gr black tip as a duty ammo. I would never try to use it beyond 150 yds unless it was all I had at the time.

Of course other factors are my ever weakening eyesight, me using a red dot, and the fact that I'll never be able to afford to stock up on .300 Blackout like I do with 5.56mm. The price of .300 Blackout ammo would have me much rather stock up on ammo for the 14" .308 AR. I am considering a 7.62x39 upper for its cheap ammo availability, but then I'd need special mags, different bolt...
    5.56 is perfectly suitable for home defense from a 11.3” barrel. So is .300, of course.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast