G&R Tactical
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: 300BLK max "reasonable" range?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    454
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just a FYI. Yesterday I chrono'd my 9" (300blk) w/ 144gr FMJ Australian Outback. Muzzle velocity avg was 1830 fps. Days ago, same brand 125gr HP was 1977 fps average.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,840
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Just a FYI. Yesterday I chrono'd my 9" (300blk) w/ 144gr FMJ Australian Outback. Muzzle velocity avg was 1830 fps. Days ago, same brand 125gr HP was 1977 fps average.
    Those don't sound unreasonable. Drop it to 110gr and 2100+fps is most certainly achievable.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    454
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Those don't sound unreasonable. Drop it to 110gr and 2100+fps is most certainly achievable.
    No idea what "barrel" length the manufacturer uses. They show MV on the 144 @ 2010 fps and 2120 fps on the 125s. Their and my chronos were at a 15ft. distance.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    510
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm pushing 110's (Nosler ballistic tips, not Barnes) to 2050 fps with 18.5 grains of W296 at 2.060 COAL. 2100 fps would be doable with a charge still under max, but I liked how they shot so I didn't bother. This is with an 8.3" barrel.

    The M1 carbine comparison, except with better projectiles, ballistic coefficient, and platform is a good one. If I recall correctly, I'm zeroed for 180 or 185 yards using a PBR calculation for a 5" target. Paper plate sized targets at 250 yd are easy, but it starts dropping off quite a bit after that.

    I like the round for what it is, but it's definitely made me appreciate 5.56 more.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    CDA
    Posts
    4,057
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I am getting ready to zero my 9" MCX for the first time tomorrow, so I am ears wide open on a thread like this. Like Bamashooter, I also have that Aussie 300BLK ammo.
    "There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs." -George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,840
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I am getting ready to zero my 9" MCX for the first time tomorrow, so I am ears wide open on a thread like this. Like Bamashooter, I also have that Aussie 300BLK ammo.
    I generally use the 50 yard IBSZ for my AR's. I know it's primarily for 5.56 but I zeroed the 300BLK at 50yds also. I haven't looked up a graph to see what my drops would be though. Like I said earlier, 200yds is what I'm primarily concerned with knowing the drop for, as anything beyond is better served by 5.56 on up.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,386
    Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    My 16” barreled .300 Blk has taken Whitetail to 150 yds. with the 110 gr Barnes Black Tip.
    This at a chrono’d 2370 FPS.
    I look at it as a sort of .30/30 WIN. autoloader.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    CDA
    Posts
    4,057
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I generally use the 50 yard IBSZ for my AR's. I know it's primarily for 5.56 but I zeroed the 300BLK at 50yds also. I haven't looked up a graph to see what my drops would be though. Like I said earlier, 200yds is what I'm primarily concerned with knowing the drop for, as anything beyond is better served by 5.56 on up.
    I have to re-zero some DD irons on my AR pistol at 50 as well, so I'll just do both of them at the same time. I'll worry about hold overs and everything when I get my suppressor for it as it will be suppressed full time after that. Thanks for the information!
    "There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs." -George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    56
    Feedback Score
    0
    If it helps show velocity here are some of my results; actual chrono from my 8” CMMG barrel is 2105 with the Barnes factory loaded 110 Blacktip and 1914 with the Rem 130 Hog Hammer which is basically a 130gr Barnes bullet.

    The same barrel with the Beck loaded 194 Lehigh ME bullet yielded 999 on one test and 962 on another day. Not sure what made the difference, the 999fps was at 43 degrees and the 962 at 53.

    Cheers,
    SBRSarge

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,338
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    No idea what "barrel" length the manufacturer uses. They show MV on the 144 @ 2010 fps and 2120 fps on the 125s. Their and my chronos were at a 15ft. distance.
    They use a 16" barrel, which is also the SAAMI reference barrel length for 300 BLK. In a 16" barrel most brands are claiming 1900-2050fps for bullets in the 144-150gr range and 2100-2250 for 125's.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    Use InfoGalactic instead of Wikipedia - avoid Wikipedia's left bias

    https://infogalactic.com/info/Main_Page
    ____________________________________________________________________________________

    Product reviews stating "Only 4 stars because I haven't used it yet" are an idiot's signature.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •