Thread: Dilemma: convert from 7.62 NATO guns/ammo to 5.56 guns/ammo?

Feedback Score

Dilemma: convert from 7.62 NATO guns/ammo to 5.56 guns/ammo?

I've got a lifetime supply (crates stacked deep) of 7.62 NATO surplus which I shoot primary through M14 types. Now that I've sold off my G3 and FAL variants, I'm down to 3 centerfire rifles. I intended to modernize to KAC SR-25 and FN SCAR rifles as they are honestly leaps and bounds better than what I bought during the parts kit era.

It strikes me that I could go all the way and divest the ammo as well, converting to 5.56 or .300 Blackout. I will not stock multiple centerfire rifle cartridges.

I shoot steel primarily in the 200 to 600 meter zone with the option to shoot up to 1000. I don't hunt and I rarely shoot matches. Hell, I barely make it to the range once a month. In my position, would you stick with 7.62 or dump it and go 5.56?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Honestly, in your position, I don't think it's worthwhile to convert the calibers if you have a significant supply of 7.62. That is if you are firmly set on one caliber only. It just sounds like too much hassle - you have to sell your existing ammo and rifles, buy a new one, what if you don't like it, and etc.

On the other hand I don't think it would be a bad idea to keep some 5.56 as well just to diversify a bit - probably just for fun more than anything else. 10-25% of the total main caliber maybe.

300 Blackout - I wouldn't choose as an exclusive primary caliber. Basically, if you have a specific purpose/intended use for it (it doesn't sound like you are from your post) - by all means use it as a secondary round.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well the big reason most people don't shoot 7.62x51 is ammo cost, and you have that covered. From a recoil and ammo capacity standpoint the 5.56 is easier to manage but it sounds like this is a non issue for you.

I would stick with what ya got and pick up another one of those more advanced 7.62 rifles. There are so many good options today - LMT MWS, SCAR, SR-25, BT APC 308, etc.

The 300 BLK is a niche cartridge for those who want a combo that is works good with a suppressor and want to maintain commonality with 5.56 AR parts. I have one, and like it, but I don't think it is for you.

Feedback Score
    If I had a lifetime supply of 7.62/308 ammo, I’d upgrade rifles and rock on.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you plan to keep your M14 clones, then you might was well keep using other 7.62X51 platforms.

5.56 ARs are so inexpensive right now, that you might as well buy one and a case of ammo for the future.

If it hurts your brain to have more than one centerfire caliber in your house, I'll store it for you, and take it out for regular exercise.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Dump the wood and steel along with the Ed's Red and boiled linseed oil and get the KAC or LMT. Keep the ammo and enjoy it, save the brass to sell.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Dump the wood and steel along with the Ed's Red and boiled linseed oil and get the KAC or LMT. Keep the ammo and enjoy it, save the brass to sell.
    Admittedly a pretty sick burn. I've got all that downstairs next to a 20 year old can of Lubriplate 130-A.

I did buy a (still unused) OSS HX-QD 762 Ti a while back. Looks like OSS makes a 3/4 x 24 mount so it's SR-25 E2 CC time!