Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LMT MRPs - worth the expense?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

LMT MRPs - worth the expense?

I have a registered SBR lower and I really like the idea of being able to change barrels quickly and switch from 10.5” to 14.5”or to 300 BLK quickly and easily. The downside seems to be a hefty expense. The barrels are pricey (though cheaper than having multiple uppers). So here are my questions for you MRP owners:

1) Is the MRP upper too heavy to be maneuverable? I’d be looking at getting the M-LOK carbine length Linky
    2) Barrels are pricey - are they accurate?
    3) How’s reliability?
    4) Do you feel the platform is worth the expense?

I had an MWS a few years ago - it was a great gun, but very pricey, heavy and there were some QC issues (yes, I’m picky - but think we should be when spending premium $).

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    You can switch barrels and calibers, but you'll still have to re-zero the optic. Why not just keep an extra upper in the caliber/barrel length you want?

It's an amazing concept, but I don't really see a point of barrel switching at this price point.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I believe them to be worth the money. It will cost you ~ $850 for an upper w/o barrel. Once you have it you “plug and play”.

However.... for the money you spend I think you could have two uppers with the barrel lengths you’re interested (depending on your forend choices, obviously).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by No Bananas View Post
    1) Is the MRP upper too heavy to be maneuverable? I’d be looking at getting the M-LOK carbine length
    2) Barrels are pricey - are they accurate?
    3) How’s reliability?
    4) Do you feel the platform is worth the expense?
    1) No
    2) LMT makes good barrels, but you are limited to their barrels or getting another barrel modified by the one gunsmith I know of who will adapt barrels to the MRP system, for $$$.
    3) My MRP was excellent, basically flawless for reliability.
    4) No, unless you have a legal situation that would preclude multiple uppers - I'm not aware of that applying anywhere in the USA. (Some foreign countries regulate all components, not just receivers/frames.)

I had an LMT MRP 16" CQB full rifle and sold it. Well made, reliable, accuracy was good but not awesome (16" chrome lined barrel), and in side by side testing a 16" nitride barrel from AR15 Performance had significantly less drop at 300 yards using the same ammo, suggesting a significant velocity difference.

If you assemble your own uppers you could have three high quality complete uppers for the same price as one MRP upper with three LMT barrel assemblies. They switch out faster and you can keep an optic and/or BUIS attached to each one and zeroed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    After watching the whole Geissee URG-I meltdown I figured that people with MRPs got the most amusement from the whole ordeal.

Feedback Score
    Yes they are worth it in my opinion. I have a 16” cl rifle length quad rail upper. It’s not noticeably heavier than a recce with a Geissele mk4 rail. Over a couple thousand rounds it’s been 100% reliable. Accuracy is on par with Colt and DD rifles I’ve owned. I haven’t noticed more drop vs other 16” cl barrels.
    Last edited by Jsp10477; 03-29-19 at 22:59. Reason: Spelling
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    The weight difference between the upper rail styles (of the same length) are negligible.

Feedback Score
    I purchased a MRP piston 16" with quad rails and had it SBR'd several years ago. Was looking for a direct gas gun but the deal on the piston gun was too good to pass up. Had the barrel cut back to 12.5" but have only shot it several hundred rounds . Yes, it is heavy for caliber but I like the way it points. Keep it around primarily for home defense and don't regret the purchase. Wish I could offer more info regarding accuracy and reliability.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Swapping barrels is not a feature that many end up using. It sounds cool but just isn't common in the real world. Kind of like how many trucks get jacked up and never wheeled.

The MRP is quality gear with a very premium price. So quality+budget minded shopping can get you multiple complete uppers for the same price. Plus a complete upper can have the best optic for that configuration zeroed and ready to go.

Feedback Score
    Love mine, it’s been a 12” 556 piston, 16” di, and .300 blk. You do end up leaving it in one config after a while. Mine stays .300blk 10.5” now. quad rail mrp is perfectly reliable, accurate, and built like a tank. As a SBR or pistol, weight is no problem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast