Thread: Interesting stoppage/malfunction

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Interesting stoppage/malfunction

I saw an interesting stoppage saturday. Rifle was an M16A2 with GI mag, loaded with 10 rounds. Stoppage occurred after firing the first round in the mag. The rifle was last cleaned approximately 163 rounds ago, and was dry as a bone, not lubricated in any way since the last cleaning, at turn in to the armsroom. Ammo was M855a1. The rifle was fired from kneeling unsupported.

The pictures linked below are NOT the weapon that the stoppage occurred in. They were staged later in a personal weapon because cameras are not allowed on the firing line. Please do not circulate them outside this thread, as they may get taken out of context.

https://imgur.com/a/I1glFAY

The firer noted a different recoil sensation, like a LRBHO, and observed the stoppage through the ejection port. He dropped the mag and attempted to clear the stoppage by retracting the charging handle. The stuck empty case did not fall free, and moved back and forth in the receiver, stuck between the bolt face and forward part of the charging handle. He then retracted the bolt directly with a peice of spent brass while the charging handle was latched. The rifle was held parallel to the ground in a normal firing orientation. The stuck empty fell free and out through the magwell. The rifle was loaded again and fired the rest of the day with no issues.

The fastest way to get the weapon running again would likely have been to drop the mag, lock the bolt to the rear, and return the charging handle forward. The stuck casing would likely have dropped free at that time.

Remedial training occured.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Brass over bolt(with a spent case), look into the extractor and ejector. Although a bad position and dry weapon could potentially add to it.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I posted about this a few years ago. Mine did that at the range. Every few rounds, using Independence 55gr but a few days later I couldn't replicate it using random Federal 55gr in a camo colored box. Two weeks prior to that it ran fine all day in class using Wolf Gold 55gr.

Feedback Score
    Very similar to the stoppage I had in another thread. Seems like a "dud" round if you ask me. Not enough "oomph" to completely cycle the action or even eject the spent cartridge, so it got stuck as the bolt came back forward from it's limited trip to the rear. It worked fine before that and after that, right? Must've been a lame round.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!