Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smoothing out the 11.5

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    A buffer cannot reduce recoil unless it adds mass to the rifle. However, it can soften recoil. It can make the recoil feel smoother. Softening and smoothing recoil helps the shooter control recoil better.
    the product in the thread I mentioned was, in fact, a buffer.

Don’t take me too seriously. It was just an observation of semantics, and the way the group reacts to certain word choices. Different users also sometimes get different reactions.

I can go either way on most of these products that smooth the recoil impulse, or reduce it. I’ve been shooting a BRT 14” Optimum with an A5H2 lately and love it. Its my favorite rifle right now.

Most of us would benefit from more ammo and dry fire more than we would from shuffling buffers.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    A buffer cannot reduce recoil unless it adds mass to the rifle. However, it can soften recoil. It can make the recoil feel smoother. Softening and smoothing recoil helps the shooter control recoil better.
    Yeah. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can be spread out over a longer period of time, however, and the acceleration curve can be modified to moderate any sharp humps, thereby reducing felt recoil....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Yeah. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can be spread out over a longer period of time, however, and the acceleration curve can be modified to moderate any sharp humps,
    Yes, absolutely.

thereby softening felt recoil....
    Fixed it for ya

You're correct that felt recoil is how the recoil feels and that the acceleration rate (attack), duration (sustain) and fade along with other factors, such as stock shape, recoil pad construction and so on, determines how recoil feels to the shooter, it's still the same amount of recoil energy.

It's like emptying a 55 gallon barrel of water. You can dump it on someone's head all at once, or you can pour it over them in a steady trickle. Or, if you really dislike the guy, you could freeze it and dump it on him as a large block of ice. Same amount of water.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 03-29-19 at 19:49.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    Op, by “smoothing out” do you mean shoot flatter? I’ve got a 12.5” and 10.5” and both run smooth with green Sprinco springs and H2 weights. Action is reliable in both. I’d direct smoothing to the exit point. What muzzle device are you using? I find a good break to have more affect on flatter shooting than slowing my action. Another area for recoil management is weight. I prefer light quad rails over slim, ultra light tubular rails. For me, the few extra ounces yield flatter shots and quicker follow ups. What’s the rest of your build?
    Entire build wise
    -KAC CQB mod 2 upper
    -MAMS
    -sandcutter bolt
    -VLTOR A5 w/H2
    Plus optics.
    Last edited by Boogieman2; 03-31-19 at 01:57.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman2 View Post
    Entire build wise
    -KAC CQB mod 2 upper
    -MAMS
    -sandcutter bolt
    -VLTOR A5 w/H2
    Plus optics.
    Sounds like a quality piece. I would change nothing.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I was thinking along similar lines. Take what you have and add training/ammo...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Entire build wise
    -KAC CQB mod 2 upper
    -MAMS
    -sandcutter bolt
    -VLTOR A5 w/H2
    Plus optics.
    That’s a bulletproof build! I don’t have any experience with KAC’s muzzle devices, but their website states felt recoil can be reduced by as much as 67%, depending on barrel length, with that device. Paired with your A5 buffer system, you may be looking for a unicorn solution. I have a 12.5” Knights build with the older URX II quad rail. I went with an AAC brake system and can. Without the can, she shoots super flat. Unless you’ve purchased the KAC can, perhaps try another brake and see if she shoots any flatter. Otherwise, don’t think the grass is any greener!
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Entire build wise
    -KAC CQB mod 2 upper
    -MAMS
    -sandcutter bolt
    -VLTOR A5 w/H2
    Plus optics.
    I wouldn’t change anything, aside from maybe experimenting with different VLTOR buffers like the -3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I wouldn’t change anything, aside from maybe experimenting with different VLTOR buffers like the -3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree with what Wake said above. The 3 works really well with the vltor or colt spring.

I personally run the A5h2 with the Green spring. That is what I run on multiple KAC 11.5 CQB guns with the MAMS and quality ammo.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Wolf xtra power spring and h2 buffer, works fine for me....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast