Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Average shooter vs "Trained shooter"

Feedback Score
    Weapons discounted the differences between "average joe" and "trained shooter" have more to do with skill set, purpose and technical knowledge, a "trained shooter" can get more out of a "crap" weapon and "average joe" can turn a ferrari into a yugo.......... Mindset, purpose, and expectations are key differences.

Now a trained shooter with good working knowledge of the weapon system can put together a gun that will outperform anything in the government inventory, the after market has put forth considerable money into research and development and pushed the design to levels that were not possible 20 years ago.

That being said, anyone can do the research and learn what makes for good, better, and best components and with a decent budget can assemble a top notch weapon, the key is getting the training to get the most out of the weapon you have and then step up from there.

I don't like to bag on anyone, we all started somewhere as untrained, undisciplined kids and Uncle Scrooge beat a new lifestyle and mindset into us. I am competent in my skills, but by no means am I the end all be all at them, there is always room for improvement.
    Last edited by Hammered_Pair; 04-06-19 at 13:52.
    Veteran US Army Combat Medic/US Navy FMF Corpsman

"Well placed gun fire is the best preventive medicine."

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Where do the rounds go when they ricochet off the ground?
    Good question. I've found a lot of bullets in the ground, so I assume ricochet doesn't happen to often. At my spot, at least, there are back stops that people just shoot at. Another sad thing is that all the trash people bring to shoot is never cleaned up. I don't understand it. I always police my brass, and never have trash.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If someone is willing to spend the coin up front rather than "upgrade over time"... it's a better more efficient way to go. Gets the gear/equipment thinking/choices out of the way so they can focus on just shooting/skillset. Easy to learn when things don't keep changing ergonomically.

Personally, if they're not going into harms way soon, I recommend shooting with a red dot FIRST. Gives the shooter time to acclimate to shooting an AR and the controls.

Run irons only after a thousand rounds or so and they can focus on the sights more exclusively rather than learning everything at once.

Most importantly, but quality rifle to start. Accessories and optics can always be added later. So if someone is on a budget, get the higher quality gun and go the upgrade path rather than get the lower quality gun with the nice optic and furniture.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920