Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I buy a sub machine gun?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

How do I buy a sub machine gun?

The wife gave me the green light to purchase a Thompson sub machine gun. How do I actually do this? Do I need to hre someone to find one for me? Do I buy it under my family trust? I need almost a step by step instruction in this process.

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    67 (99%)
    Two ways:
    Find one that is not an sbr and fill out all NFA form 1 paperwork yourself, wait and then convert once you have an approved form 1.
    If you’re buying one already converted to an SBR, that would be a form 4. Obviously, any full auto trigger pack would require an additional form, money and wait time.

My recommendation is to do some research on the NFA regs and speak with an NFA attorney on what is the best route for you relative to which way to file.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glock21xxx View Post
    Two ways:
    Find one that is not an sbr and fill out all NFA form 1 paperwork yourself, wait and then convert once you have an approved form 1.
    If you’re buying one already converted to an SBR, that would be a form 4. Obviously, any full auto trigger pack would require an additional form, money and wait time.

My recommendation is to do some research on the NFA regs and speak with an NFA attorney on what is the best route for you relative to which way to file.
    Maybe you want to do some research on the NFA regs and realize you can’t file a Form 1 to make a machinegun?

And the fact you don’t need an SBR stamp for a MG.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 03-26-19 at 10:22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    The wife gave me the green light to purchase a Thompson sub machine gun. How do I actually do this? Do I need to hre someone to find one for me? Do I buy it under my family trust? I need almost a step by step instruction in this process.

Thank you.
    http://www.nfasales.com/nfawp/
    https://dealernfa.com
    Thompson-specific page : https://dealernfa.com/product-catego...guns/thompson/
    https://www.davidspiwak.com
    https://otbfirearms.com/nfa/transferable-machine-guns/

Find one you like from the above websites.
    Buy it- money order, check, wire transfer, etc
    Have your SOT send the dealer from above his info.
    The form 3 will be for the transfer between the above and your dealer.
    Then fill out form 4 (determine if i dividual or trust at this point) and submit (your dealer can help you).
    Wait a year for the approval and tax stamp to come back.
    Go pick up your machinegun.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-26-19 at 12:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glock21xxx View Post
    Two ways:

There is no legal way to build a machine gun on a form 1, period.

The only way for a private individual to legally acquire a machine gun is to locate a transferable machine gun for sale, and go through the necessary steps to purchase it.
    Or, find someone to bequeath it to you, and wait, and then go through the necessary steps.

If, in your search of one to buy, you see "post sample", move on. It is not transferable, and cannot be purchased by private individuals.
    Yes, it sucks, since they will be so much cheaper.

A search will find sites where they are bought/sold. A search will find the process you will need to follow, both in state, and from another state.
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How much does the tax stamp cost these days? When I toyed with the idea of getting into a sub gun back in the 1990's I recall $300 for the feds. Is the current back ground check and paperwork approval a year long wait?

Feedback Score
    67 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    Maybe you want to do some research on the NFA regs and realize you can’t file a Form 1 to make a machinegun?

And the fact you don’t need an SBR stamp for a MG.
    I stated “an additional form” and my original statement was made relative to an SBR, but I can see the confusion the statement created.

Feedback Score
    67 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    There is no legal way to build a machine gun on a form 1, period.

The only way for a private individual to legally acquire a machine gun is to locate a transferable machine gun for sale, and go through the necessary steps to purchase it.
    Or, find someone to bequeath it to you, and wait, and then go through the necessary steps.

If, in your search of one to buy, you see "post sample", move on. It is not transferable, and cannot be purchased by private individuals.
    Yes, it sucks, since they will be so much cheaper.

A search will find sites where they are bought/sold. A search will find the process you will need to follow, both in state, and from another state.
    I stated “an additional form” and my original statement was made relative to an SBR, but I can see the confusion the statement created.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    How much does the tax stamp cost these days? When I toyed with the idea of getting into a sub gun back in the 1990's I recall $300 for the feds. Is the current back ground check and paperwork approval a year long wait?
    $200. Same as it was in ‘34.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Considering the great expense with any machine gun, is it better to go through a reputable dealer like those attached to this thread or peruse GunBroker? I can't imagine the great difficulty and frustration with spending $20k on something that does not run as it should...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast