Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I buy a sub machine gun?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Considering the great expense with any machine gun, is it better to go through a reputable dealer like those attached to this thread or peruse GunBroker? I can't imagine the great difficulty and frustration with spending $20k on something that does not run as it should...
    Newb here:
    I think starting off, stick with the big names- like getting into guns... you buy one or two from known legit sources, then learn the ropes and venture into the abyss.

I just bought my first, and honestly, avoiding bids and crap was worth the “extra cost”. Its like 7% tops.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glock21xxx View Post
    I stated “an additional form” and my original statement was made relative to an SBR, but I can see the confusion the statement created.
    Relative to an sbr? They are not related, at all. Machine guns do not have any defining factors on barrel length or overall length.

An additional form? Such as what, exactly? There is no additional form. A private individual cannot legally make a machine gun, period. There are no forms that will change that. It has been this way since may of 1986.

Only an 07 with an sot can make a machine gun, and any they make are not transferable, which means they cannot be sold to a private individual.
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    Do I need to hre someone to find one for me?
    No. You do need to educate yourself about Thompson sub machineguns. Take a look at these:
    https://dealernfa.com/product-catego...guns/thompson/
    As you can see, the prices range from $20k to $38.5k. There is a reason for the massive difference in prices. Some are original full autos and (I'm guessing here) some were converted from semiautos. Some are better quality than others. Some are rarer than others. Some take drums and others will only take sticks. You need to know the reasons for all of the differences so that you don't simply buy what's least expensive and end up regretting that you didn't pay a little more. Once you know for sure what you want, buy from a reputable dealer.

Do I buy it under my family trust? I need almost a step by step instruction in this process.
    You only need to put it in your family trust if you have a compelling reason. Up until a couple of years ago, people were able to use trusts to get around chief law enforcement officers that wouldn't sign off on their Forms. Now CLEO's don't have the authority to sign off on forms. However, everyone in the trust now has to go through a background check. Therefore, there's no compelling reason to use a trust simply because it's a NFA item. You may have other reasons though. BTW, NFA items transfer to immediate family free, a tax free transfer is not a reason for having one either. If you want others (in the trust) to be able to use your Thompson when you're not around, then that is a reason to use a trust.

You need to find a local NFA dealer that will receive the Thompson for you. If he has a range that allows full autos, that's all the better as you'll be waiting a while. This dealer can help you through the paperwork as they're responsible.

BTW, have you shot a full auto Thompson? They're fun, but they are heavy. I think that a M16 or Mak 11/9 with a Lage upper would offer more full auto fun over the long run. The think that I love about my M16 is that I'm able to change the configuration easily. I shoot 5.56x45, 7.62x39 and 6.5Grendel through it. I could shoot 9mm too if I wanted to do so. Thompsons are iconic, but they are classics that are not really configurable.

Please ask more questions.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Interesting thread as I always wanted a FA Thompson but gave up due to the $$$$ aspect...was very fortunate to find an M16A1 & agree with Bret the added coin wouldn't be worth it unless I was swimming in dollars. Was surprised to find a couple on gunbroker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796566856

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/805864124
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have been doing a crash course in things Thompson related. I see that there is indeed a large price spread between a Colt 1928 and a West Hurley. At this time, I am looking for a early WW2 vintage weapon that can accept drum and stick magazines. Savage 1928 for example?? I rented a Thompson m1 many years ago and it was a thrill to shoot. I understand that the ergonomics are not great, it is heavy for what it does, and it is completely as is with no modifications. But hey! You only live once!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    Interesting thread as I always wanted a FA Thompson but gave up due to the $$$$ aspect...was very fortunate to find an M16A1 & agree with Bret the added coin wouldn't be worth it unless I was swimming in dollars. Was surprised to find a couple on gunbroker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796566856

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/805864124
    We can thank Ronnie Reagan for the high prices.

Feedback Score
    I rented a Thompson m1 many years ago and it was a thrill to shoot. I understand that the ergonomics are not great, it is heavy for what it does, and it is completely as is with no modifications. But hey! You only live once!
    Awesome! Get what you want and don't look back.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    We can thank Ronnie Reagan for the high prices.
    Don't forget about congress. The '86 Firearm Owners' Protection Act was overall a win for gun owners. Unfortunately, antigunners took advantage of the opportunity and got the machinegun ban through. We wouldn't have guns shows without it having passed. Here are a list of the details. Most are good for us:
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/99th-c...senate-bill/49

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Local gunshop has a nib west Hurley 1928 for $25k. Can any one here comment on what to look for on a West Hurley? Or are they simply better to avoid?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Step one: Have deep pockets.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Turns out the Thompson is an auto ordnance, West Hurley, definitely used not nib, condition is still excellent, 1928 configuration, comes with one stick magazine, unable to test fire, $24k. I will probably pass.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast