Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handheld light under $100?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Although most of your points are true, there is info missing that makes it inconsequential. A partially drained 18650 will still outlast 2 CR123's by a longshot. As long as you can change out the battery on the flashlight, most of them do, who cares if it can USB charge or not, carry a couple 18650's in a little carry case and your golden. Extra batteries are extra batteries.
    Not to mention extra 18650's are about the same cost as a pair of 123's from a local source. Even the micro USB equipped lights have the option to hot swap batteries. Further, the current crop of Li-Ion 18650's are pretty amazing. The amount of charge loss in storage is statistically insignificant to 123's. I have a pair of 18650's that are 10 years old and still provide more output than a fresh set of 123's (I monitor voltage outputs and run time). Go for something like an Efest 3500 mAh 20A 3.7V* and both output and run time are unmatchable by 123's for the lifetime of the battery (* always make sure you use "protected" cells in lights requiring them, the aforementioned Efest is "unprotected").
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Although most of your points are true, there is info missing that makes it inconsequential. A partially drained 18650 will still outlast 2 CR123's by a longshot. As long as you can change out the battery on the flashlight, most of them do, who cares if it can USB charge or not, carry a couple 18650's in a little carry case and your golden. Extra batteries are extra batteries.
    Thanks for the insight. I wasn't sure if those USB charging lights had user-removable or even proprietary batteries. Good to know that at least some of them use a standard size.
    "One can lead a child to knowledge, but one cannot make him think."
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Initially I was put off by usb charging until I saw the batteries were not fixed and were replaceable. I’m buying it as a gift for a buddy but I’m thinking I should have ordered two!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Klarus XT11X 3000 lumen

Klarus XT2CR 2000 lumen

- True "Tactical" switching with always ON Turbo

- Intuitive Secondary switch strobe and multi levels

- USB charging

- Bright!

- Relatively inexpensive

This is the 3rd generation of these lights and all gens have seen constant EDC and Duty use for many years now with no issues. Of course they are always used in conjunction with "proven" SF and Streamlight WMLs. Pretty much the only thing SF and Streamlight do well nowadays.

I was a hardcore Surefire guy from my first high tech 6P in 1989 through many dozens more to my even higher tech 10X and A2L in the early 2000s. But they lost the tech edge and new lights driven by the enthusiast community just work. I was still snooty and moved to high end customs first but they were just too expensive to keep buying to keep up with quickly improving LED tech and could not offer the true tactical switching I wanted anyways. You can argue Chinese junk all you want but my first 10 years of Surefire use included many many popped bulbs at inopportune times. These lights work and can throw a true wall of light when you need it. I like when we hit a house at 0500 and teammates go from grabbing for a light to just walking around as normal when I light up a whole area.

There are a wealth of choices nowadays and I have tried most every light with decent "tactical" switching over the past decade and Klarus seems to have nailed it.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-28-19 at 12:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Klarus XT11X 3000 lumen

Klarus XT2CR 2000 lumen

- True "Tactical" switching with always ON Turbo

- Intuitive Secondary switch strobe and multi levels

- USB charging

- Bright!

- Relatively inexpensive

This is the 3rd generation of these lights and all gens have seen constant EDC and Duty use for many years now with no issues. Of course they are always used in conjunction with "proven" SF and Streamlight WMLs. Pretty much the only thing SF and Streamlight do well nowadays.

I was a hardcore Surefire guy from my first high tech 6P in 1989 through my even higher tech 10X and A2L in the early 2000s. But they lost the tech edge and new lights driven by the enthusiast community just work. I was still snooty and moved to high end customs first but they were just too expensive to keep buying and keep up with quickly improving LED tech and could not offer the true tactical switching I wanted anyways. You can argue Chinese junk all you want but my first 10 years of Surefire use included many many popped bulbs at inopportune times. These lights work and can throw a true wall of light when you need it. I like when we hit a house at 0500 and teammates go from grabbing for a light to just walking around as normal when I light up a whole area.

There are a wealth of choices nowadays and I have tried most every light with decent "tactical" switching over the past decade and Klarus seems to have nailed it.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I owned the first gen Klarus XT11. That thing took a beating over the years that would do any light proud. To me, their dual switch tailcap is the best tactical UI out there.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    One consideration, if you buy a Surefire, which I like, make sure you get the tail cap function like you like. Some have more functionality vs on or off, or on / off high beam low beam. For some gun functions, on off I prefer. For handheld use, the dim light function is nice. Just a thought.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Just got one of these. My new favorite general use light as it's a bit too bulky for EDC. No light has felt so natural or good in my hand since my original Patrol SL20X 24 years ago... The most intuitive and easy to use (once setup) UI ever. Period.

And I have owned pretty much every decent Surefire, Streamlight, Pelican, Night-Ops, Blackhawk, Sunwayman, Jetbeam, Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, Oveready, Klarus, and many others since then in a quest for the best user experience...

Klarus 360X3 3200 Lumens CREE XHP70.2 P2 LED 360 Degree Omni-Directional Dual Switch Rapid Reaction Tactical Rechargeable Flashlight
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KFZCXTR..._XvXNCbS0Y169F

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-30-19 at 02:25.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How do you like the higher lumen performance on the Klarus 360?

I’ve never been impressed with any light running on a single 18650 or two CR123 batteries that have a setting over 600 lumen. It seems to drain quickly and step down to 500 or 300 lumen. Often the forced step down is well under 500 lumen. Yet if used on the 500 lumen setting you can get decent long run time with no step down. In the last year I quit buying single cell 18650 lights with top setting over 600 lumen. 3,200 lumen seems like a unrealistic claim for a single cell light. But what do you think of it in the higher modes?
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I agree with your observations about single cell lights but I must admit everything depends on your use profile. If you expect 3200 lumens constant for 45 straight minutes then that far exceeds the capability of a single or even double cell light without a massive heat sink. For burst "tactical" or just lighting something up for a few seconds or minute or two when walking around it's awesome. Even in the dark woods I avoid walking around with a light always on but everyone's needs are different.

I believe the independent testers rate the actual lumens a bit lower depending on the battery but my informal and horribly unscientific light meter closet tests against multiple fancy lights bear out the claims well enough. It lights the heck out of a room or even a street or thru tinted windows. Realistically the LED units are all the same and it just matters how much energy is pumped thru them and how good the reflector is.

The fact that you can easily adjust the brightness is the winning factor here.

I'd like a SL20X sized one that reads my mind and goes from 1 lumen to light saber but that's just me... ;-)

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-30-19 at 19:26.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12