Thread: Anyone going to see “Combat Obscura?”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Anyone going to see “Combat Obscura?”

Opened today but very limited release.

http://combatobscura.oscilloscope.net

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Looks like I will be waiting for it to come locally or for it to come out on disc.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It is listed on Netflix as release date unknown. Put it in my Q anyway.

Feedback Score
    My question would be since he was there in an official capacity to film the ops, how can he legally take the film and make it into a movie? I mean it wasn't like he was recording this with his cell phone or such, it was (I assume) with USMC camera equipment and for that very purpose.

Make no mistake, when it comes out on PPV or Prime I'll definitely watch it.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hr got it released:

Once he got the footage declassified through a Pentagon review process, word of the film wormed its way onto the Marine Corps’ radar.

“That’s when I started getting calls from NCIS and Marine Corps Entertainment Liaison Office,” he said. "They wanted to know what I was trying to do with it and what the message was.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Oh hell yes I'll be seeing it.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Nah. BTDT. Same reason I don't watch vacation videos.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So, supposedly this kid used footage not approved and went "rogue."

Attempting to prevent the public from seeing what war is really like as to not lose support is how it works if you're running a war and don't want to lose support, $, etc. is as old as the camera itself. 18 year old marines are not exactly qualified to say if the war is well managed or a success one way or another... I'm conflicted as to his motives, and utility of his film.

Anyway, I have not seen it but did watch this interview via Reason with the "rogue" film maker which is worth a view:

https://reason.com/video/this-marine...eality-of-war/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    So, supposedly this kid used footage not approved and went "rogue."

Attempting to prevent the public from seeing what war is really like as to not lose support is how it works if you're running a war and don't want to lose support, $, etc. is as old as the camera itself. 18 year old marines are not exactly qualified to say if the war is well managed or a success one way or another... I'm conflicted as to his motives, and utility of his film.

Anyway, I have not seen it but did watch this interview via Reason with the "rogue" film maker which is worth a view:

https://reason.com/video/this-marine...eality-of-war/
    Agree. Which is why we were able to kick the crap out of Germany and Japan in WW2. Then in Vietnam we let the photographers show the ugliness of war every night on the 6pm news and support went down the drain fast.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    Agree. Which is why we were able to kick the crap out of Germany and Japan in WW2. Then in Vietnam we let the photographers show the ugliness of war every night on the 6pm news and support went down the drain fast.
    Which in retrospect, perhaps a good thing? The mil learned a hard less on Nam that they better control the narrative all around and allowing reporters to wonder around at will, a bad idea if you want public support. But, is the hard realities what people should see and accept for a legit war? I'm not sure what the answer is.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast