Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EDC Tanto via JP Bladesmithing

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

EDC Tanto via JP Bladesmithing

Just got this EDC tanto. Here's a comparison pic with my daily EDC for size comparison. Note the blades are the same length (3.5"), even though the tonto appears smaller. It's made of 80crv2 spring steel. The handle ergos are excellent for my medium sized hands, although I think the knife could benefit from some jimping for an even more positive grip;

https://www.jpbladesmithing.com/list...tion-tanto-edc

Carry wise, it drops into a pocket comfortably, and even in the sheath, thinner than that BM folder and all but disappears. The minimalist sheath is set up for IWB, which is a nice touch and smart idea. A fixed blade EDC is always a tough balance between size and comfort and concealability, this knife strikes that balance very well. I carried a ESEE Knives Izula-II, which I liked, but the blade length 2.63″ just a tad small for my uses. For me, the optimal fixed EDC is 3.5 - 4.00" to act like a "real" knife in most situations. but that's me, so take for what it's worth, but there seems a "Goldilocks" range of 3"-4" for a fixed EDC that's comfortable and easy to conceal, but do what you need it to do beyond say opening letters...

EDC.jpg

I like utilitarian tools over flash (be they tool watches, firearms, etc) for a fair price for quality, and considering these are hand fashioned knives, and I'd say JP Bladesmithing has accomplished that.

If this knife was not designed specifically for EDC, a beefier handle would be nice, but not necessary per se.

I took it on a recent trip to Panama and it was a great little companion. I may be doing some collaborative blade with him as I forwarded some thoughts on my suggestions for turning this great little EDC into something even better.

Stay tuned
    Last edited by WillBrink; 03-29-19 at 08:39.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I really like that knife and I have flirted with fixed edc a few times but have never did it.
    Was one of your changes a bit more handle? When will see the Brink Custom?😀

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
    I really like that knife and I have flirted with fixed edc a few times but have never did it.
    Was one of your changes a bit more handle? When will see the Brink Custom?��
    Honestly, once you find the EDC fixed blade that works for you, hard to go back to a folder when you know even a cheap fixed knife is stronger than the most expensive over built heavy folder. I will have to see where he's at with #1. Yes, my changes would be essentially that knife above with a tad more of everything one might want in an EDV fixed blade, without losing the goals of a fixed EDC...
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I checked out his site... really like the reverse tanto utility. Great price point with good looking grinds.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I checked out his site... really like the reverse tanto utility. Great price point with good looking grinds.
    That's because he's using 80crv2 spring steel (which is tough ass steel) vs say latest wonder steel and is developing his name/rep and seems to go for utility vs petty per se. My advice, get while the gettin' is good. 80crv2 spring steel is a carbon steel so it does require a wipe down after use and the occasional touch of oil once in a while, but it's hard use steel to be sure and a favorite of some who use. Putting the "spring" in spring steel:

Finally, while I do think many of the current super steels are either over priced and or overrated and very few people ever push their knife to the point they'd ever notice a difference, I have encouraged him to consider offering some models in say steels that are quality for value, like good D2 (such as BOHLER K110/AISI) or cpm 154, which covers carbon steel, a semi stainless, and a stainless.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 03-31-19 at 16:24.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Good call on D2 and 154, two of my favorites. Super steels are awesome and I’ve had a few, but I found they are not worth the cash for my needs.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Good call on D2 and 154, two of my favorites. Super steels are awesome and I’ve had a few, but I found they are not worth the cash for my needs.
    Me, I think good D2 with a good HT is as good or better than any of the new overrated "super steels"

like any industry, you don't get people to buy new stuff without convincing them the last thing purchased is inferior so they must get the latest greatest
    Last edited by WillBrink; 03-31-19 at 22:12.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’m kinda digging the spear point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    I’m kinda digging the spear point.
    Which one?
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

EDC Tanto via JP Bladesmithing

Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Which one?
    https://www.jpbladesmithing.com/list...pear-point-edc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast