Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flash hider torque specs that cause accuracy issues

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Flash hider torque specs that cause accuracy issues

Someone besides me has to have done it.

You go to install a suppressor mount and you think you’ve got the torque wrench set to 25 ft lbs and it ends up not being set at all so it never clicks. Next thing you know you’re at the range getting 30” groups at 50 yards.

The above happened to me with a 12.5” bcm. I removed the FH and the problem went away however that FH attached to any other rifle in the future always had accuracy issues that were so bad I worried about baffle strikes. I ended up throwing it away.

It got me wondering how much torque I put down and how much is needed to replicate that. I usually torque to 25, but have mistakenly torqued to 35 and that even seemed to cause accuracy issues though not to the same extent 90+ did.

Thoughts?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I bought a used Colt upper some years ago that had the birdcage threaded all the way up to the shoulder without a crush washer. I wasn't getting 30" groups but they were bad. When I went to remove it, I thought I was gonna need a breaker bar. Once I got it off, added a crush washer, and retorqued to spec, accuracy was fine.

If I had to put a number on it, I'd say it was torqued to at least 75 ft lbs or more.
    Last edited by Five_Point_Five_Six; 03-27-19 at 22:38.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    This is why I use shims now.

Edit: By "shims", I mean accu-washers.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 03-30-19 at 15:09.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    1/2 x 28 threads? I know over torquing can affect accuracy, but not to the extreme that you describe. Something else was going on there - like a MD problem, as you indicated.
    It's also possible that "over" torquing doesn't have a noticeable affect on accuracy at all. I did an experiment on a DD 14.5" with an A2 FH with torque values from 20-70 ft-lbs in 10ft-lb increments and had no difference in accuracy. I also had a 12.5" that showed approximately 100% increase; 2.5" 10 round groups @ 100yds with 25 ft-lbs, increased to 5" with torque value of 50 ft-lbs. So, I believe that recommended FH torque should be used, but high torque doesn't automatically mean problems. (shims used on all MDs)
    Last edited by MQ105; 03-27-19 at 22:40.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It's not a problem with our *big* 5/8-24 threads...

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    ^^^

I'd like to see this, at least as an option, on more barrels and MDs.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I shim then hand tighten with rocksett the MDs on all my barrels now. Never had one come off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    It's not a problem with our *big* 5/8-24 threads...

This.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    When I built a 3 gun rifle, I put on a MD with crush washer and torqued to 25. The rifle would not shoot better than 1.5" groups with a match barrel. Very frustrating and disappointing. 2 years later I put an AFAB with shims on a new rifle and decided to try the shims on the 3 gun rifle. Groups shrank to .5".

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I shim then hand tighten with rocksett the MDs on all my barrels now. Never had one come off.
    I do the same. Works perfectly. You can get a bottle of rockset that will last you a lifetime for $15.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast