Thread: Smooth barrel profile vs “shelves”

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Smooth barrel profile vs “shelves”

I like my BA .625 Hanson profile barrel. It’s super light. I’m looking at picking up a BCM enhanced lightweight fluted barrel, because I want a matching upper for my BCM lower.

But...
    Is there any empirical data extolling the benefits to the smooth transitioning barrels sans gas block shelf, cutouts, or other right angles? I get the extra mass where it matters, etc. I’m specifically curious about the premise that a right angle can have some deleterious effect on accuracy.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Only thing I've ever heard is that the ELW barrels heat up faster.

I suppose there would be barrel harmonic factors, but since the bore is what the bullet interacts with, I assume (yeah yeah I know) it wouldn't matter much.

Feedback Score
    I’ve often wondered this myself,And having read ba’s claims,I have to agree with them(just from my own practical experiences)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I like my BA .625 Hanson profile barrel. It’s super light. I’m looking at picking up a BCM enhanced lightweight fluted barrel, because I want a matching upper for my BCM lower.

But...
    Is there any empirical data extolling the benefits to the smooth transitioning barrels sans gas block shelf, cutouts, or other right angles? I get the extra mass where it matters, etc. I’m specifically curious about the premise that a right angle can have some deleterious effect on accuracy.
    Theoretically its better for barrel harmonics but I highly doubt you would see any benefits in a mass produced barrel like BA. The limiting factor here is bore quality.

Feedback Score
    I am in 100% agreement with you on this,somewhere I saw a series of bore scope pics of “higher end” barrels,I was shocked by what a couple of well Respected company’s were putting out (good and bad)