Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non-factory magazines for new M17/M18 Military Pistol?

Feedback Score
    I've got a half-dozen factory mags now, only one domestically made. I'll wait to buy more until MecGars are generally available, tho' I'm not unhappy with the domestic mags for the P365.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Looks like ACT-Mag will be producing some magazines for the P320. I'll bet that a lot of manufacturers will be trying to make them in order to compete in the eventual spares contracts that will show up now that the M17 has been adopted.

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/sig-saue...ne-p-2047.html

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    MecGar is SIG OEM and I don't think they sell mags for the P320 directly as "MecGar", as they do for the P226/8/9.

It may be in their OEM contract that they can't sell directly or they may have to wait X number of years to do so.

Feedback Score
    Binky', this has historically been the deal for GI Mags. We'll do well to question the provenance of any replacements, and hope the Pentagon doesn't get involved, as they did with M9 mags.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    We'll do well to question the provenance of any replacements, and hope the Pentagon doesn't get involved, as they did with M9 mags.
    Moon
    LPTA baby, LPTA...

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I know. That whole 'lowest bid' thing can be unsettling. Apparently the brass wanted parked magazines for rust resistance, not allowing how the rougher surface might react with sand.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    ETA- Without some solid history, I'd avoid aftermarket mags. Unhappily, Sig is mighty proud of their mags, and price them accordingly.
    M
    The USA marked mags aren't aftermarket to my knowledge. At one point 2016 time frame Mec-gar couldn't keep up with demand so Sig contracted with Checkmate for mags. The Checkmate mags I have seen were the older style mags without the newest upgrades. I don't know if Checkmate is still involved anymore. David

Feedback Score
    Not finding fault with the domestic products; it's just that MedGars are the gold standard for magazines. You're likely right about Checkmate as a mfg.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbinky View Post
    Looks like ACT-Mag will be producing some magazines for the P320. I'll bet that a lot of manufacturers will be trying to make them in order to compete in the eventual spares contracts that will show up now that the M17 has been adopted.

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/sig-saue...ne-p-2047.html
    I'm very late to this discussion, but I just came across it and wanted to offer an update. Based on positive feedback on the other site, it looks like the ACT mags are a solid, affordable alternative to Sig (MecGar) factory mags. They can be found for $23-$24 through Greg Cote and The Mag Shack. The ACT mags are stamped "ACT-MAG ITALY," prompting speculation that they are made by MecGar, but I haven't seen any real evidence of that. They do have a glossy finish like some of my P226 mags made by MecGar, not matte like the factory M17/M18 mags.

ACT also recently updated the baseplate locking plate design, so they are interchangeable with Sig baseplates with the rectangular hole. I picked up some 3-packs of Sig tan baseplates from CDNN to match the M17 mags. I only have about 150 rounds through three of the ACT mags, but they seem solid and reliable, almost indistinguishable from the OEM mags, except for the glossy finish. The only small issue that I'm keeping an eye on is that one of my ACT mags seems to occasionally fail to lock the slide back when empty, but it's possible I'm putting some pressure on the slide locking lever with my thumb over the safety. I marked that mag and will keep an eye on it during future range sessions.
    Last edited by 3ACR_Scout; 12-15-21 at 22:15.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have several ProMag 17rd and 30rd magazines. They fit and run in my M17 frame but will not fit into my FluxRaider.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12