Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving across state lines with an SBR'd lower and a supressor

Feedback Score

Moving across state lines with an SBR'd lower and a supressor

Hello All,

This has been discussed on various forums but I get inconsistent information and I thought it would be good if I can get all the info in one place.

In January I'm moving from Washington (these days if you want freedom you can't live on the west coast) to Montana. I have an SBR and a suppressor. Based on what I've read I have to file a 5320.20 for the SBR and it's 'good practice' to file one for the suppressor before they are taken across state lines. Is that correct?

Assuming that it is, the issue is that I won't know my new address in time to get the written approval before I move. So, as I see it, these 'safest' thing to do is:

o File the forms. Open a safe deposit box. Deposit lower and suppressor in said box. Move. Wait for the response to be sent to my Washington address and (hopefully) forwarded to my Montana address. Go back to Washington and pick up the items and bring them back.

But, since paperwork for a suppressor isn't strictly required (again, I'm not sure about that) and because a lower that doesn't have a short barrel on it isn't an SBR, could I:

o Build a spare lower, attach a pistol buffer tube to it, put the short barrel on it, take the new pistol, the suppressor, my other rifles, and no other functional lowers to my new address. Then fill out the paperwork and after it arrives put the short barrel upper back on the SBR'd lower.

I know that no one can give legal advice, but any opinions would be valued.

Thanks,

JRC

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Similar situation here. But I'm moving stuff from Wisconsin to Washington.

A trustee has my SBR and suppressors. I'm going to tell USPS to forward mail from old address to my new address.

I'm just curious if you need exact days in transit, that's hard for me to predict.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    The form does say that you need exact dates in transit and the exact two and from addresses. I'm sure that's difficult for most everyone that moves.

Based on the strict reading of the form, my alternate plan wouldn't work. Because I wouldn't be transporting an SBR at that point. I'd be... I'm not really sure, re-making one? The SBR was never really transported if a lower without an upper on it can't be an SBR. Sounds like a risk to me.

I hope you like Washington. Everywhere outside of Seattle, Tacoma, and Olympia is great. But, after 5 years in Seattle I can't wait to get out. It's been getting worse and worse. I've seen the city go way downhill in that short time.

JRC

Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    Similar situation here. But I'm moving stuff from Wisconsin to Washington.

A trustee has my SBR and suppressors. I'm going to tell USPS to forward mail from old address to my new address.

I'm just curious if you need exact days in transit, that's hard for me to predict.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    People actually fill these out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Furthermore to all this, this letter seems to make my sneaky loophole attempt invalid. Taking the short upper would violate the law.

https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/files...tate-lines.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    Hello All,

This has been discussed on various forums but I get inconsistent information and I thought it would be good if I can get all the info in one place.

In January I'm moving from Washington (these days if you want freedom you can't live on the west coast) to Montana. I have an SBR and a suppressor. Based on what I've read I have to file a 5320.20 for the SBR and it's 'good practice' to file one for the suppressor before they are taken across state lines. Is that correct?

Assuming that it is, the issue is that I won't know my new address in time to get the written approval before I move. So, as I see it, these 'safest' thing to do is:

o File the forms. Open a safe deposit box. Deposit lower and suppressor in said box. Move. Wait for the response to be sent to my Washington address and (hopefully) forwarded to my Montana address. Go back to Washington and pick up the items and bring them back.

But, since paperwork for a suppressor isn't strictly required (again, I'm not sure about that) and because a lower that doesn't have a short barrel on it isn't an SBR, could I:

o Build a spare lower, attach a pistol buffer tube to it, put the short barrel on it, take the new pistol, the suppressor, my other rifles, and no other functional lowers to my new address. Then fill out the paperwork and after it arrives put the short barrel upper back on the SBR'd lower.

I know that no one can give legal advice, but any opinions would be valued.

Thanks,

JRC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    Furthermore to all this, this letter seems to make my sneaky loophole attempt invalid. Taking the short upper would violate the law.

https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/files...tate-lines.pdf
    Well it doesn't mention pistol configuration .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You need a permission slip to take your SBR out of state. More to the point, you need a permission slip to take your SBR to a particular state. The permission slip is good for up to a year. It can take some time to get the form back. What you could do is use the address of a friend's house or a range in Montana. Your SBR will be legal to keep in Montana from the time permission is given until it expires. You will have your permission to take your SBR to Montana before you move. Once you know your address, you fill out another permission slip. This time, you fill it out notifying the BATF that the SBR will be moving to Montana permanently.

I'm nor certain if you're required to notify the BATF of moving a silencer to another address or if it's a courtesy.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    You need a permission slip to take your SBR out of state. More to the point, you need a permission slip to take your SBR to a particular state. The permission slip is good for up to a year. It can take some time to get the form back. What you could do is use the address of a friend's house or a range in Montana. Your SBR will be legal to keep in Montana from the time permission is given until it expires. You will have your permission to take your SBR to Montana before you move. Once you know your address, you fill out another permission slip. This time, you fill it out notifying the BATF that the SBR will be moving to Montana permanently.

I'm nor certain if you're required to notify the BATF of moving a silencer to another address or if it's a courtesy.
    Assuming this is directed at me I was being sardonic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Assuming this is directed at me I was being sardonic.
    Not aimed at you at all. Just explaining to jrcii how he can get permission to take his SBR to Montana, although he doesn't know what his new address will be, before he moves. That way he doesn't have to leave it in Washington while waiting for his permission slip.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Buy pistol lower or give posession of short upper to someone else.
    Transport rifle in 16”+ config.

Silencers do not require a form to transport accriss state lines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast