Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windham retro

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Windham retro

If interested, seems like a fair price for a retro type. Yeah, it's not a Colt, BCM, etc. Certain it will provide reliable service. Didn't see info on Windham's site

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...ampaign=032919
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hmm looks to be an A2 profile barrel though, which is a bit lazy on Windham's part (Although still a better effort than Stag's "Retro" offering) Although if you were to stick some A2 handguards on that you'd have a decent approximation of a Colt RO715.

Feedback Score

Windham Weaponry's new "Retro" model

...Although it seems a mishmash of A1/A2 features. Maybe they'll have a "Gen 2" that will be closer to original A1 specs?

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/216843

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    ...Although it seems a mishmash of A1/A2 features. Maybe they'll have a "Gen 2" that will be closer to original A1 specs?

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/216843
    I was going to start a thread on this, and for the same reasons. Windham came so close with the concept, but struck out where it counts. The barrel needed to be lightweight, not A2/ GOV. The stock being A2 length is another failure, but honestly that is something I could have lived with and swapped out if I wanted later on. However, the barrel kills it, and not because of the modern twist rate, but because of the profile.

The money the company saved by not using a 625 FSB, and staying with their existing 750 shows their lack of market understanding.

I applaud the concept, but rue the execution.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I mentioned this in the Retro forum, where someone else had posted a link to this, but with a swap out to some A2 handguards, you could at least have a serviceable RO715/C7 clone. (Because I'm assuming the upper is going to have a brass deflector too, I just used a Windham C7 style upper for my 733 clone and didn't see an actual "A1" upper on their site).
    Last edited by Circle_10; 03-29-19 at 15:35.

Feedback Score
    In my experience, Windham makes a quality AR. But anyone wanting a rifle that is much closer to the original A1 configuration would be better served with the Brownell's Retro model. And if you hit one of their sales (as I did) it's even cheaper than the (projected) Windham version.

Feedback Score
    A VietNam era buddy asked me about this; the heavy barrel issue is what I mentioned to him. Hadn't realized it was an A2 stock (tho' this guy is big enough it wouldn't matter), and I swapped an A1 on an A2 CHPS carbine for the same reason. How is Brownells doing with their retros? Haven't looked lately.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I mentioned this in the Retro forum, where someone else had posted a link to this, but with a swap out to some A2 handguards, you could at least have a serviceable RO715/C7 clone. (Because I'm assuming the upper is going to have a brass deflector too, I just used a Windham C7 style upper for my 733 clone and didn't see an actual "A1" upper on their site).
    This would be the best use of that configuration. The upper they use is a C7 type. With everything being A2 related other than the handguards, pistol grip, and the slip ring, throwing on a set of A2 handguards and an A2 pistol grip would be perfect. Of course, the slip ring would be wrong for a true RO715/C7 clone, but it would be much closer to that than anything else.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    This would be the best use of that configuration. The upper they use is a C7 type. With everything being A2 related other than the handguards, pistol grip, and the slip ring, throwing on a set of A2 handguards and an A2 pistol grip would be perfect. Of course, the slip ring would be wrong for a true RO715/C7 clone, but it would be much closer to that than anything else.
    Ah, in getting distracted by the A2 barrel I didn't even notice the slip ring. I'm actually somewhat surprised Windham bothered with that considering the other pretty glaring incorrect aspects.
    If you wanted a 715/C7, I guess worst case scenario you could pull the barrel and put a Delta Ring on there.

Of course it's possible that this is just a placeholder photo and the actual production version might be a bit more A1 correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    The money the company saved by not using a 625 FSB, and staying with their existing 750 shows their lack of market understanding.
    ]
    They have recently started offering pencil profile carbine barrel assemblies on their site, so they apparently have .625 FSBs. So there's really no reason not to incorporate those into their "retro" offering. Hopefully they do.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 03-30-19 at 09:12.

Feedback Score
    Windham can go for the "retro look" without investing a lot of money in new parts.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast