Thread: Issue with Armalite Def 10....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Issue with Armalite Def 10....

Bought this rifle used off gunbroker. When it arrived today I noticed the rear sight (Armalite brand) aperture was maxed out to the right side.

Took the rifle to the range and fired 3 rounds of LR 118 out of it at 25 yards. Rifle shot about 4 inches high (MI folding front sight) and to correct wind age. I might expect this with a DPMS or Diamondback etc....rifle. Not acceptable in an Armalite. At range, there is no telling whether the rifle will adequately zero and even if it does, there will be no adjustment left for other ammo types etc....I dropped the seller a note, see what he says. It needs to go back to Armalite.
    Last edited by Esq.; 03-29-19 at 19:09.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Bought this rifle used off gunbroker.
    Did I miss something?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Did I miss something?
    Other than the fact that the rifle doesnt operate within an acceptable state of performance, no. While it is certainly possible that the original owner messed it up, I find it unlikely based on the obvious lack of use and complete lack of any signs of tampering.

In any event it needs to go back to Armalite. I've bought literally dozens of used and new AR15 rifles over three decades and encountered this issue a few times, it's not generally due to using the barrel as a pry bar but improper assembly/ parts issues.

Since the rifle will go back to Armalite, I guess we'll find out.
    Last edited by Esq.; 03-30-19 at 05:23.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Armalite gave you an RMA number for a used rifle? Their website clearly states that the warranty is only for the initial retail purchaser.

They will likely happily work on the rifle, and charge you their standard hourly rate and MSRP on any components that need to be replaced.

What troubleshooting have you done?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Armalite gave you an RMA number for a used rifle? Their website clearly states that the warranty is only for the initial retail purchaser.

They will likely happily work on the rifle, and charge you their standard hourly rate and MSRP on any components that need to be replaced.

What troubleshooting have you done?
    What do you suggest as a problem/fix?

With an AK, I would suspect a canted sight...with an AR, the few times I've had the issue, I've always sent the guns back to the manufacturer.

I can try another rear sight and front sight...... I can check to see if the upper is "level" I suppose...since the front sight rests on the clamp on picatinny gas block I may be able to shift it a bit.....
    Last edited by Esq.; 03-30-19 at 14:23.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would try different front and rear sights, though the front sight will need to be intended for gas block installation for it to be the correct height.

You can level the upper, and then confirm that the gas block's picatinny rail is also level. If the rifle runs, then it's unlikely that the gas block is canted on the barrel, since the gas port would then not be properly aligned.

The picatinny sights I've used haven't allowed for any lateral adjustment, without adding shim material to the side of the rail.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    What do you suggest as a problem/fix?

...since the front sight rests on the clamp on picatinny gas block I may be able to shift it a bit.....
    Is it this gas block?

I'm assuming since you mention it's the clamp-on gas block -- you don't own an Allen wrench set?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Is it this gas block?

I'm assuming since you mention it's the clamp-on gas block -- you don't own an Allen wrench set?
    Yes, thats it. I know I can shift it, that's not the issue. The issue is whether by shifting it I will obstruct the gas port and lose functioning.....That said...I did shift it a bit and we'll see if it runs...