Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hungarian Hi Power Back from The Action Works

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I haven't had good luck with the C&S no bite. Still bites....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Hammer Bite - PINCH

On my observation with the factory Hi Power is that the hammer spur is not the culprit in the "bite". In a hasty grab for the gun as in drawing from the holster at speed AND at the same time trying to achieve the highest grip possible, the flesh (webbing) between the thumb and index finger tends to creep up above the factory frame tang. The bigger the hand the more this will happen. The web of the hand gets caught between the top surface of the tang and the bottom side of the hammer stalk (I really don't know what this part of the hammer is called). It's not the spur that gets your hand. The web is caught where I showed the red arrow, the tip of the arrow.

I played with a couple of factory HP and this was what I observed. Some people say that the HP doesn't bite them, that's true for me as well IF I carefully grip the gun and consciously avoid gripping my hand as high as possible on the gun. But this is counter intuitive to the way I've been trained and how I shoot. To achieve the best recoil management and control on the gun, one has to grip high AND on pistols with thumb safety (1911 and HP), ride the thumb safety. Riding the thumb safety with the thumb aggravate the pinch.

I've seen some gunsmiths solution to the hammer pinch by relieving the underside of the hammer (where I showed the arrow tip). I'm sure Mr. Williams offer this modification as well. Cylinder and Slide in fact offers a "no bite" hammer for the HP:

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CS0197

Notice the relieved area in the picture in the link above.
    I have had that happen with a .22LR PPK copy(have heard that design is another common buyer) and I can see how it would get some people on the Hi Power also. In my case, milling the lower half of the rowel off ended the injury.

I have always wondered why the hammer on several pistols got left the way they did (never tried an original M1911, but obvious how that would go) because I don't have huge hands and still get nailed. Another odd one is the Argentine Sistema 1927 which is mostly M1911A1(which doesn't bite me) but thru left the underside of the hammer sharp so a magazine of.45 left me with a corresponding bloody cut.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 04-04-19 at 09:59.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    FN changed from the ring to the spur hammer in the 1970s but that's as far as they ever went with a non-bite design. It probably wasn't really even an issue for the masses until 15-20 years ago when people started getting away from the low thumbs grip and started migrating to the more modern "flying thumbs" grip. FN isn't the only company to ignore getting bit. People have been complaining about Glock slide bite for years but Glock didn't do anything until the Gen4 guns and the pin-on backstrap.

Any modern new-to-market Hi Power should take the high thumbs grip into consideration and have a slightly elongated beavertail. I recently picked up one of the TISAS stainless guns and was immediately and painfully reminded of how bad the original ring hammer and short grip tang can pinch. Thankfully the hammer had already been changed out on my FEG.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    My friend bought two of the Israeli surplus FN Hi Power's and sent them to that place you sent yours to. He asked me about FEG's since I have owned a few and still have one now. Told him that they have the best trigger reset of any of the Hi Power variants I've owned. Excited to see that FEG is going to be importing again, hopefully we see some AK's and perhaps some updated polymer Hungarian AK furniture.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's something that might be of interest to you FEG fans:

DECODING THE FÉG HI-POWER

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DKB3LXY..._4WKQCbHZAS9HW

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Has anything definitive came out on the FEG/FN counterfeit pistols? Saw bits and pieces a few years back when a lot of Israeli surplus pistols came in, but not much since then.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Has anything definitive came out on the FEG/FN counterfeit pistols...
    I don't think there's been anything definitively written about them. It seems they were made to get around an arms embargo but that might just be someone's guess.

Cole's sold quite a few of these and still a few more that were FEG frames with FN slides or vice a versa.

Anyway, it seems the counterfit guns might have had an L serial number prefix. Mach 1 Arsenal had one listed on gunbroker recently and I was going to post a link but can't find it. It must have already sold.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is a fellow on gunbroker selling imported surplus pistols under the name DWJ Imports. He routinely lists the FEG pistols for sale. I believe most of the guns he has are coming in from Israel.

Anyway, I sent him an email asking if he had any info on the various serial prefixes and styles. I told him I'd seen FEG pistols with A and B serial prefix letters as well as G. In my limited experience the A and B guns are all FN clones. The G guns might have FN pattern lockup or S&W pattern lockup with no way to tell other than to pull the slide off and look at the barrel and spring. I also asked him if he knew anything about the FEG guns with FN markings.

Here's what he said:

We have imported a few thousand FEG "Hi-Power" clones in the last 5-7 years. No short answer on the FEG models. I have seen A,B,C,E,G,L and T prefixes along with straight numerical serials. Besides the "G" prefix series which has the S&W barrel system... I have also seen "L" and "B" prefix pistols with the S&W barrel system as well as the FN system. The best / only way is to see the barrel lockup to be sure. The PJK-9HP and P9 marked pistols are FN pattern. The P9M had both FN/FEG systems... I have seen them with my own eyes. FEG did produce FN pattern pistols with counterfeit FN markings and proof marks - we have seen hundreds of them. Some were VERY good copies and others were not. IMO this was done to make money on FN's name/quality - nothing more.

To my knowledge - there was absolutely NO collaboration between FN and FEG to produce pistols. Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    Here's a HiPower that Don at the Action Works did for me eight years ago.
    Before:

After:

Note that it's one of the FN HiPowers that has an aluminum frame. It's finished in hard chrome. Most people say that you can't hard chrome aluminum, but you can. It just has to be nickel plated first.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Here's a HiPower that Don at the Action Works did for me eight years ago.

Note that it's one of the FN HiPowers that has an aluminum frame. It's finished in hard chrome. Most people say that you can't hard chrome aluminum, but you can. It just has to be nickel plated first.
    I have an aluminum framed Commander that was hard chromed. They coated it in copper first. The finish has been tough as nails for over 30 years.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast