Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hungarian Hi Power Back from The Action Works

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    Who has these in stock? I couldn't find any in a web search.
    Century Arms brought in some FEG guns. I believe these were all Israeli surplus. If you search gunbroker for P9M or PJK-9HP you should find some.

DWJ Imports, as already mentioned, is also a good source. I don't see anything listed by him currently. Maybe he's out of stock or has Global surplus dried up?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    That should be pretty nifty.

One small suggestion if you don't mind. Add a bit more tang to the back of the frame. Not full-on beavertail as done by the custom shops but rather something with just enough length to help cure hammer bite.

And thin out the back of the grip so it is the same profile as an FN Hi Power...flush with grip panels at the rear instead of standing proud.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This pistol started life as a used but mostly unmodified PJK-9HP. I bought it used from a fellow who also bought it used. History and round count is unknown although the pistol didn't have much finish wear internally or externally.

The gun had been modified a little from stock. Someone had pulled the mag safety out along the way. The hammer had also been replaced with a spur hammer instead of the ring hammer the FEG guns came with. Maybe the spur hammer is original? I don't think I've ever seen another FEG with a spur hammer but I'm certainly not an expert on these guns or their various configurations.

I sent it to The Action Works awhile back to have the feedramp polished, safety and sear engagement corrected, new sights installed and a matte refinish. Overall, I am very pleased with the results. I had briefly thought about replacing the grips but have decided to stick with what I've got. The FEG grips give the gun a nice classic look.

I don't recall seeing an FEG without a ring hammer including the Charles Daly models. In fact, it may just be the camera angle, but yours looks just a little different from a Mk II/III spur that makes me suspect the bottom of the ring was milled off.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I don't recall seeing an FEG without a ring hammer including the Charles Daly models. In fact, it may just be the camera angle, but yours looks just a little different from a Mk II/III spur that makes me suspect the bottom of the ring was milled off.
    It is not a re-shaped ring.

I don't know for certain but believe it is a factory FN spur hammer that's been shortened by a 1/4 inch. There's definitely evidence of some file work back there.

This wasn't something Don did. It was already that way when I bought the gun. Whoever took the mag safety out likely also switched out the hammer and shortened the spur.

Last edited by Tokarev; 04-02-19 at 17:24.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It is not a re-shaped ring.

I don't know for certain but believe it is a factory FN spur hammer that's been shortened by a 1/4 inch. There's definitely evidence of some file work back there.

This wasn't something Don did. It was already that way when I bought the gun. Whoever took the mag safety out likely also switched out the hammer and shortened the spur.

That would explain the slightly different look then. If they had to take some off the spur I bet the ring would have been splattering blood.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That would explain the slightly different look then. If they had to take some off the spur I bet the ring would have been splattering blood.
    The spur hammers never bothered me but the ring hammers... Yikes!

Usually the other part of the gun that gets me is the bottom left edge of the slide. The slide itself or the pointed edge of the safety notch can really take a bite if I'm not paying attention.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    yours looks just a little different from a Mk II/III spur...
    Here are a couple shots of the spur itself. [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190403/76d5f8e427d3fae1427c19fc75aa5a8e.jpg

[/IMG]

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    That should be pretty nifty.

One small suggestion if you don't mind. Add a bit more tang to the back of the frame. Not full-on beavertail as done by the custom shops but rather something with just enough length to help cure hammer bite.

Agreed. Something akin to the Wilson Combat "Concealment" beavertail for 1911's, which is much more minimalist than standard beavertails. Just enough to prevent hammer bite and nothing more. Add that and I'd be a buyer.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Beavert...ductinfo/563B/
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Hammer Bite - PINCH

On my observation with the factory Hi Power is that the hammer spur is not the culprit in the "bite". In a hasty grab for the gun as in drawing from the holster at speed AND at the same time trying to achieve the highest grip possible, the flesh (webbing) between the thumb and index finger tends to creep up above the factory frame tang. The bigger the hand the more this will happen. The web of the hand gets caught between the top surface of the tang and the bottom side of the hammer stalk (I really don't know what this part of the hammer is called). It's not the spur that gets your hand. The web is caught where I showed the red arrow, the tip of the arrow.

I played with a couple of factory HP and this was what I observed. Some people say that the HP doesn't bite them, that's true for me as well IF I carefully grip the gun and consciously avoid gripping my hand as high as possible on the gun. But this is counter intuitive to the way I've been trained and how I shoot. To achieve the best recoil management and control on the gun, one has to grip high AND on pistols with thumb safety (1911 and HP), ride the thumb safety. Riding the thumb safety with the thumb aggravate the pinch.

I've seen some gunsmiths solution to the hammer pinch by relieving the underside of the hammer (where I showed the arrow tip). I'm sure Mr. Williams offer this modification as well. Cylinder and Slide in fact offers a "no bite" hammer for the HP:

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CS0197

Notice the relieved area in the picture in the link above.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^Exactly.

Perhaps not everyone, but a lot of people are bit by the hammer SHANK, not the extended spur.
    The web of my hand would get pinched to the point of blood blisters with my high hold- which is NOT conducive to accuracy.
    I’ve used C&Ss “no bite” hammers which work- and I’ve slightly bobbed the spur and thinned down the shank on OEM hammers which worked as well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast