Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts on the Remington V3 TAC-13?

Feedback Score
    I had mentioned this in another thread, Ergo Grips is making an adapter for this to fit full stocks and Suarez Tactical carries the arm braces for them. GG&G has some accessories as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnar4321 View Post
    I had mentioned this in another thread, Ergo Grips is making an adapter for this to fit full stocks and Suarez Tactical carries the arm braces for them. GG&G has some accessories as well.
    Just saw that with a little Googling. Pricey, but looks good. I assume before too long there will be other players.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    It's sick and weird, I know, but I find this appealing...

Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Try finding anyone on the pro clays circuit shooting a Remington shotgun. You won't...
    I'm a Benelli fan, and I really wish that Benelli would make it easier to buy a 14" barrel for my M2...

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Screwball is correct, it uses the Versaport system they use on the Versamax. It's one of the things that has me interested in it, the system automagically adjusts to everything from light field loads to Brenneke slugs.
    Hold on. AFAIK the "Versaport" system only covers/uncovers the extra ports for 3" vs. 2-3/4" shells. I don't think automatically adjusts anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider View Post
    I want one of these so bad I can't stand it, but my state has it's own definition of a "sawn off shotgun" and this falls right square into that definition. They are no bueno here.
    This is the other problem for me... I'm in California.

Feedback Score
    Anyone know if this is legal to put on a TAC-13? I'll assume it wouldn't be sold if it wasn't.

https://suarezinternational.com/suar...-for-12-gauge/
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I thought it had to be 26" OA. If it fires while folded it wouldn't be long enough. If I am correct the answer is no in most places. Someone will drop by that probably has more knowledge than me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I thought it had to be 26" OA. If it fires while folded it wouldn't be long enough. If I am correct the answer is no in most places. Someone will drop by that probably has more knowledge than me.
    That is incorrect... look at Black Aces Tactical.

When overall length is measured, it is done with the stock or, in this case, brace extended. Just how the ATF does it.

As long as you put a folding brace on, and not a stock... you are good. My TAC-14 with similar brace works out to like 33”. Folded, it is 24”.

Feedback Score
    I thought it had to be 26" OA.
    I think you're right...

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    As long as you put a folding brace on, and not a stock... you are good. My TAC-14 with similar brace works out to like 33”. Folded, it is 24”.
    Hmmm...

See here: https://www.mossberg.com/defining-a-shotgun/

If it's less than 26" long, then it's a "handgun," and not an "Any Other Weapon."

I don't know why "pistol vs. AOW" makes a difference, but IIRC the reason that all these shorty shotguns have those long "birds head" grips is that they'd be less than 26" with "cruiser" pistol grips, and being less than 26" would be some kind of legal problem...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    If it's less than 26" long, then it's a "handgun," and not an "Any Other Weapon."

I don't know why "pistol vs. AOW" makes a difference, but IIRC the reason that all these shorty shotguns have those long "birds head" grips is that they'd be less than 26" with "cruiser" pistol grips, and being less than 26" would be some kind of legal problem...
    True, and if you took a TAC-14, and put a traditional pistol grip on... you would have an AOW (illegal one if you didn’t go for the stamp). Can’t be a smoothbore pistol (think why the Taurus Judge has rifling)... which is why it goes to AOW.

But I don’t have a 24” overall length. If you read the lines before what you quoted, you’d see why it is 33”.

Don’t have to take my word for it... go check out the Black Aces DT. That has an 8.5” barrel... so if you measured with the brace folded, it would be well under 26” (I would say in the 16” to 17” ballpark). No stamps required. So, extended/unfolded... it is at least 26”.

I read Cleckner’s writing (he knows his s***), and I stand buy what you linked. However, no mention was made of folding braces. He did touch on stocks, especially how you can’t make a “firearm” from a shotgun receiver (which is correct). The main idea of that article is to explain the legality of those “firearms,” and the difference between it and AOWs. I would not short change Cleckner, but you are sort of using something that really isn’t discussing the specific topic (folding braces on “firearms”), and trying to make it fit your argument. Black Aces has been selling the DT for some time, and they did happen to get an ATF letter for it. That’s good enough for me.

Feedback Score
    All clear... I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to make sense of this.

So, the 26" rule stands, but a folding brace's extended length counts towards the 26". Got it!

Now I really just want an SBS...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    All clear... I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to make sense of this.

So, the 26" rule stands, but a folding brace's extended length counts towards the 26". Got it!

Now I really just want an SBS...
    If I came off confrontational, I apologize. Not my intention.

If you have a folding brace, it extended is how you come up with the overall length. There are a few other firearms (namely rifles), which follow suit.

For the SBS, a braced TAC-14 is the only way someone in NJ can get a similar firearm. State legislation clearly states that shotguns under 18” barrels are “sawed off shotguns...” which that definition incidentally also considers SBR/stocked pistols that are exempt of the tax stamps. NJSP and the AG approved the “firearm” setup, and gave it the point of following ATF regulation for all aspects of said firearm. So, good to go...

Might not be a huge thing, lesser considering I’m buying a house in ME, but it is nice to have some sort of right given back to us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123