Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of problems could a 22 conversion kit cause for my barrel?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline_12 View Post
    I've been reading some gunsmithing books and I believe I recall them recommending you not overuse lead cleaning solvents because they will wear out the barrel over time, degrading performance and reducing it's lifespan. Although I could be remembering that wrong.

Also, if the fouling in the gun were to necessitate the use of brass brushes more frequently, or steel brushes and scraps in the chamber more, I wonder if that would also reduce the lifespan or performance of the parts.

I suspect I'd probably be more concerned about excessive lead buildup from the 22 ammo used more than the wear on the surface of the barrel or rifling itself, and the effect that lead could have on the rifling.

I am using a 5.56 chamber in my AR. Would that be an issue?

I am glad you mentioned that because that is a conversion kit I had not heard of yet. It looks like it could be a good one, and is cheaper than other options.
    Could be right on dedicated lead removal cleaners and definitely right on over using a brush, but you really don't need to do anything that involved on cleaning the bore out.

Fine on the 5.56 chamber, just wasn't sure if you had a Wylde or if it could pose a problem. The upper i ended up dedicating to the adapter is snug to close on the lower and I suspect the reason is a .223 Remington chamber. Adapter drops right in known 5.56 chamber barrels without issue.

Reasonably sure most commercial .22 adapters use the now expired Atchisson patent.(also assume Army and USAF adapters are slightly different based on magazines at least).

Other than occasional surplus Army/USAF adapters, Ceiner kits were really the only option on the market for decades. I would go any other kit at this point in time after I dicked with my Ceiner (after talking to them on the phone and in person early on) for about 10 years before getting it to function as reliably as a rimfire can be expected to be and that was due to advice I got from Black Dog Machine who I do recommend.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    For those who use conversion kits (not dedicated .22 LR uppers), how close is the .22 LR point of impact to .223 POI/optic zero?
    Mine is 3” left and 1” low at 50yd.

Edit:

It may have only been 2” left but 1” low for sure.

Only issue I have heard with them is the bolt will sometimes wear a groove on the inside of the upper receiver. So if you cycle it a few times and see contact, may want to touch the bolt up with a file.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 04-01-19 at 22:51.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Mine is 3” left and 1” low at 50yd.
    Yep, mine was about 2" low at 50 (using a 50 yard zero on the Aimpoint for 5.56)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    This is inspiring... I've shot hundreds of rounds of Federal bulk .22lr through my CMMG conversion, and the accuracy has always been "Meh." (2-3" groups at 25yds.)

This guy has inspired me to try the CCI MiniMags and Subs that I have lying around...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The 22 conversion with the chamber adapter can be accurate- until it isn't. The chamber adapter is prone to leading up and needs to be cleaned real good with a bore brush frequently, because when it does lead up, group size go from inches to feet.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-10-19 at 14:13.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I have a 22 conversation I built for my son but I went and upgraded with a PSA stainless steel barrel when they had their uppers go on sale.
    It doesn't have a pinned gas block so i could remove the gas tube easily if I needed to.

It's great for kids and just fun to shoot as ammo is dirt cheap. The mags can be a bit of a PITA.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    The mags can be a bit of a PITA.

A tip from Black Dog that has seemed to help with malfunctions is to check the tops of the mag lips for evidence of the bolt rubbing and relieve a bit of material from the lips.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    A tip from Black Dog that has seemed to help with malfunctions is to check the tops of the mag lips for evidence of the bolt rubbing and relieve a bit of material from the lips.
    The mags seem to work OK, loading them is just a slow process.
    I find that while they have a 25 round capacity sometimes you can't even get 20 rounds in.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    The mags seem to work OK, loading them is just a slow process.
    I find that while they have a 25 round capacity sometimes you can't even get 20 rounds in.

Can't help you there. Black Dog only mentioned the lips interfering with the bolt, not death grip marks on the tube.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast