Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What kind of problems could a 22 conversion kit cause for my barrel?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some years back I got a CMMG unit. Accuracy was-so; more malfunctions than I cared for. Hearing about leading and/or stuck bullet issues, I cleaned the bore and action after each session, which was usually 25 or at most, 50 rounds. I had about350/ or so rounds through it when I noticed an odd bullet hole in the target paper. Took a quick look down the bore which looked ok. When I got home I ran a cleaning rod down from the breech end. There was an unexpected "loose" point down towards the muzzle.

Bulged barrel. The carbine was otherwise ok but I put a new one on. In the meantime S&W came out with the 15-22. I dumped the CMMG and have 3000 rounds plus through the 15-22. I get the occasional misfire which any .22 will produce. Other wise zero problems of any kind. Still have that rifle and bought four more as gifts.

I figure that CMMG cost me around $500 in the initial purchase and a bulged barrel. Not counting the $400 or so for that first 15-22.

Still better than my 1980 VW Rabbit--but only just!

Caveat emptor.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    ... I noticed an odd bullet hole in the target paper. Took a quick look down the bore which looked ok. When I got home I ran a cleaning rod down from the breech end. There was an unexpected "loose" point down towards the muzzle.

Bulged barrel. The carbine was otherwise ok but I put a new one on...
    Explain this to me. Are you saying that shooting .22lr bulged your barrel?

Or you had a .22lr squib load and then fired another and bulged the barrel?

Or shooting .22lr leaded up the barrel and then shooting 5.56 bulged the barrel?

Or something else?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post

Or shooting .22lr leaded up the barrel and then shooting 5.56 bulged the barrel?

Or something else?
    ^^^^^Ditto Bimmer^^^^^
    Married to my hero life saver best friend wife & proud father of 2.

BSmith "But, some of the shit falls under the "just because you can..."
    Iraqgunz "Enough of your nonsense. Please check yourself post haste."
    markm "If you like the side charger and see the lack of dust cover as a plus, you should double down on bad ideas and get a piston as well. A case of Independece Ammo will be the icing on the cake."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post

Or something else?
    Don't think it was a squib load as I would probably have noticed it. I shoot a lot of that particular brand of ammo. It's quality stuff, and the only problems it's given are the occasional failures to fire.

As to leading up I routinely cleaned the bore after firing; brass brush and Ed's Red. As a matter of fact, pushing the brush through was the first I knew of the bulged barrel.

Bottom line is, I really just don't know. I quit the CMMG unit. replaced the bulged barrel with a good lightweight, and bought a 15-22. Compared to a crazy girlfriend, a piece of cake...
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    It’s possible for any 22lr to squib, but I don’t see how a CMMG conversion could have anything to do with it. It’s also possible for anyone to miss having a squib.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123