Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
I don't think there is the same problem with MK318 and patents, yet it isn't readily available or cheap.

Vietnam had plenty of variable terminal performance complaints. I think it even started the twist theory as the first ones over there were 1/14" vs the 1/12" that became the standard issue.

When the whole angle/fleet yaw thing was discovered it proved the first hand accounts of both sides could be correct. It comes down to smaller calibers having less reliable yaw and fragmentation with ball. It's also the reason the experts say barrier blind expanding loads are more reliable than loads that rely on fragmentation, even the heavy OTM's.
I thought it all started in Somalia. So why does M855 get such a bad rap if M193 is no better? And if these complaints were commonplace in Vietnam, why did it take until 1993 for everyone to lose their minds over it? It just seems like a really strange thing, especially considering the scale of the Vietnam war compared to Somalia. If that problem existed at that time, how was it not a big deal?