Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
No.

M855A1 with the tungsten tip pits your receivers and chamber if not fed in properly as the tip is harder than the aluminum or steel.

That tip chips everything it touches. M855a1 is garbage because it shouldn’t be shot out of the rifles we are using it with.

We know it exist, it’s just stupid until we get something that doesn’t get damaged with the use of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The only rifle it's known to damage is the M27. There is currently no tungsten in the round. The prototypes early on had a tungsten core under the steel penetrator, but that was changed to copper, to improve accuracy and reduce cost. It's just a steel penetrator, like M855, except it's heavier.

There's apparently some wear on the feed ramps in the barrel extension if you're using standard mags, but it's something that happens over many thousands of rounds. And if you use either EPMs or Gen 3 Pmags then it's no longer an issue at all. And supposedly changing that presentation angle improves reliability anyways, so it's not like you're giving anything up. I've heard all the arguments, and talked to several people who have been using it in service, and the rumors are all just that, rumors.

M855A1 is the Excalibur of 5.56. It has a short neck out of any barrel at any range, it's almost as good as bonafide AP, and it's almost match grade. And all that from something that's the same price as M193 and M855. Hell I shouldn't even be saying all this because I'm just going to make it harder for me to get it when it comes out on the commercial market. In fact, don't listen to me, it's awful, and if you ever come across some don't use it because it will ruin your AR. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you.