View Poll Results: Enhanced Performance Magazines are...

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • The best USGI mag ever!

4 26.67%
  • The worst USGI mag ever.

0 0%
  • No better or worse than previous USGI mags.

8 53.33%
  • Okay if you have M855A1, but useless otherwise.

3 20.00%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about M855A1

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    1. Why is it so horrifically expensive, given that it costs about the same as M855 to make?

2. Will the price come down eventually? If so, how long will it take?

3. What is the opinion on this forum of the enhanced performance magazine? Is it really more reliable like the Army says, or complete crap like the Marines say? Or is it no better or worse than previous USGI pattern mags?

4. Re the EPMs, is OKAY still making them, or is Center Industries now the only supplier? I can only find Center Industries EPMs for sale, and would obviously prefer OKAY.

5. Despite being fugly as hell, is it correct to say that the Surefeed E2 is basically a civilian version of the EPM? Better than the EPM? Or am I comparing apples and oranges?
    1. Supply < demand . . . simple.

2. If supply => demand, yes .... not anytime soon.

3. I will say that the Army did a comprehensive test of the PMAG.

The PMAG met all requirements except: Rough Handling and Ammunition Compatibility, which were partially met.

Rough handling:
    - The loaded magazine remained intact and operational after being dropped from a height of 5 ft individually and while inserted into a weapon at ambient and hot temperatures. In cold temperatures the majority of the magazine’s bottom base plate broke and all the magazine contents fell out in the weapon drop orientation (dropped onto the magazine with the magazine inserted in the weapon).

Ammunition Compatibility:
    - The magazine fired 30 rounds each of the following; M193, M856, M995 AP, M855, Mk262 ammunition without magazine related stoppages or malfunctions. When firing M200 blank ammunition; one failure to strip round (FSR) stoppage occurred that was charged to the magazine. When firing M862 SRTA ammunition; there were two failure-to-feed (FFD) stoppages that were charged to the weapon/magazine.

Aluminum magazines meet all requirements.

4. Eventually, all USGI magazine suppliers will make them.

5. The Surefeed design is patented, so, no, it is not exactly the same as the Enhanced Performance Magazine. Better? I haven't tested them so - Idon't know.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    1. Supply < demand . . . simple.

2. If supply => demand, yes .... not anytime soon.

3. I will say that the Army did a comprehensive test of the PMAG.

The PMAG met all requirements except: Rough Handling and Ammunition Compatibility, which were partially met.

Rough handling:
    - The loaded magazine remained intact and operational after being dropped from a height of 5 ft individually and while inserted into a weapon at ambient and hot temperatures. In cold temperatures the majority of the magazine’s bottom base plate broke and all the magazine contents fell out in the weapon drop orientation (dropped onto the magazine with the magazine inserted in the weapon).

Ammunition Compatibility:
    - The magazine fired 30 rounds each of the following; M193, M856, M995 AP, M855, Mk262 ammunition without magazine related stoppages or malfunctions. When firing M200 blank ammunition; one failure to strip round (FSR) stoppage occurred that was charged to the magazine. When firing M862 SRTA ammunition; there were two failure-to-feed (FFD) stoppages that were charged to the weapon/magazine.

Aluminum magazines meet all requirements.

4. Eventually, all USGI magazine suppliers will make them.

5. The Surefeed design is patented, so, no, it is not exactly the same as the Enhanced Performance Magazine. Better? I haven't tested them so - Idon't know.
    I hadn’t seen those details on the PMAGs, where did you get that info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    1. Why is it so horrifically expensive, given that it costs about the same as M855 to make?

2. Will the price come down eventually? If so, how long will it take?

3. What is the opinion on this forum of the enhanced performance magazine? Is it really more reliable like the Army says, or complete crap like the Marines say? Or is it no better or worse than previous USGI pattern mags?

4. Re the EPMs, is OKAY still making them, or is Center Industries now the only supplier? I can only find Center Industries EPMs for sale, and would obviously prefer OKAY.

5. Despite being fugly as hell, is it correct to say that the Surefeed E2 is basically a civilian version of the EPM? Better than the EPM? Or am I comparing apples and oranges?
    Forget M855 It's ****ing garbage and overpriced... inaccurate, horrible chance of fragmentation. It's just ****ing shit. M193 is far more effective on a human target and cheaper.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    Forget M855 It's ****ing garbage and overpriced... inaccurate, horrible chance of fragmentation. It's just ****ing shit. M193 is far more effective on a human target and cheaper.
    And this right here is a prime example of why nobody is going apeshit over M855A1, because everyone thinks it's just a minor update to standard M855. The greatest 5.56 round ever devised by man has been out in the wild for like ten years now and nobody knows it exists!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    And this right here is a prime example of why nobody is going apeshit over M855A1, because everyone thinks it's just a minor update to standard M855. The greatest 5.56 round ever devised by man has been out in the wild for like ten years now and nobody knows it exists!
    No.

M855A1 with the tungsten tip pits your receivers and chamber if not fed in properly as the tip is harder than the aluminum or steel.

That tip chips everything it touches. M855a1 is garbage because it shouldn’t be shot out of the rifles we are using it with.

We know it exist, it’s just stupid until we get something that doesn’t get damaged with the use of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    That’s an April fools joke. I’m pretty sure.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    No.

M855A1 with the tungsten tip pits your receivers and chamber if not fed in properly as the tip is harder than the aluminum or steel.

That tip chips everything it touches. M855a1 is garbage because it shouldn’t be shot out of the rifles we are using it with.

We know it exist, it’s just stupid until we get something that doesn’t get damaged with the use of it.

Those statements are false - I was corrected on them several months ago in a related thread.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    No.

I dont know where you are getting your info from but, the tip of M855A1 is not made of tungsten.

You should really check your sources, I thought the round was garbage too after hearing(reading on the internet) it was over-pressured,damages guns and was designed around a stupid "green" lead-free requirement.

Then I heard from people who actually used it in theater and seen its effects 1st hand. They are not over pressured, nor do wear out guns more significantly than regular ammo if you are using the correct magazines. Now Ive changed my tune, M855A1 is probably the most effective general purpose cartridge we've ever adopted.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 04-01-19 at 20:02.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    WHERE are yall getting this ammo? Ive looked to no avail.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    WHERE are yall getting this ammo? Ive looked to no avail.
    No one talks about it because Civs can't get it. You either have to buy pulled bullets and try to make some yourself, have some fall off the back of a truck somewhere of if you make youtube videos,stumble upon some rounds in the desert.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast