Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bizarre 300 Win Mag behavior

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    So always good with no can...

Sometimes ok with can, sometimes not ok with the can.

How’s the bedding and action torque? Perhaps the weight of the can could also be causing some form of changes in barrel harmonics.

The key change seems to be suppressor related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bedded like a dream and torqued nice and tight, just checked the torque. Good idea though.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Any signs of the barrel making contact during recoil?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    We loaded some hunting bullets at 75grains but went back to 74.5 H1K because it was so hot on the brass, we can take some of those loads.

PB
    Just for giggles go down a node and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Any signs of the barrel making contact during recoil?
    Not on this gun. Plenty of room between the stock and scope.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eightmillimeter View Post
    Just for giggles go down a node and see what happens.
    yea, where are probably just going to test the two loads we have, and can-no can and check velocities. And some other lighter bullets. If it hates the 220/225's, then Ill shoot our old faithful 208 AMAX load. Served us well for years.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not on this gun. Plenty of room between the stock and scope.
    Then I’m going to say you’re on the verge of instability with the heavier bullet. Rework the load or use a different bullet.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    They spray with the can on, and STACK with the can off. I tend to agree that there's a C-hair tickle of the end cap.

Eyeballing the alignment through the chamber doesn't show anything alarming.
    I'm not a reloader by any means and the bold part above stuck out to me after reading all of this thread. Is it possible to mark the end cap exit hole so that after firing a rew rounds you would see some sort of marking that the bullet was tickling the end cap as it exits? If so that could help diagnose or eliminate a possible cause.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I'm not a reloader by any means and the bold part above stuck out to me after reading all of this thread. Is it possible to mark the end cap exit hole so that after firing a rew rounds you would see some sort of marking that the bullet was tickling the end cap as it exits? If so that could help diagnose or eliminate a possible cause.
    I buffed the exit hole out so we will know, Im worried about blowing the cap off quite frankly.

PB

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    There was some signs of disruption of the crust on the inside of the endcap. I know from getting cap kisses in 308 that the bullet can be like 4 feet off at 100 yards and still not totally wreck the end cap. So a very subtle tick would yield the results we're seeing.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    So so so, I buffed out the brake. It was Crusteeee, and buffed end cap , I also took a round file lightly bore out baffles. Just to knock off any such crust.

Gun shot everything lights out. Mark May have some pics. I shot two bullets through one hole. I mean I didn’t open it up in the slightest. Then placed one right beside it. We are more about slapping steel, but damn we enjoyed some good groups. Only 3 round groups because I can’t make myself 5 precious rounds into paper.

Wind kicked our but. It was stopping starting and changing directions all day. That being said, it was good times.

PB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast