Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: US Army Selects B&T

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    For a standard SMG role I'd still rather have the MP5. But given that this role is specific to a sub compact SMG that is concealable, I think they made the right choice. Even the K without a stock is still a pretty large package, turn it into a PDW and it's a lot of gun under your coat.

The only really discrete SMG I can think of is the Skorpion VZ-61 and the M-11/380 and both of them have their inherent design limitations.
    The vz61 needs a 30-40 rd mag, optic mount in place of rear sight, a redesigned stock, and specialty concealment holsters. But otherwise they cost little and are reliable. Very small and light, too with great triggers.

But I know they wanted a 9x19.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    The APC9 is very high quality. It’s made in Switzerland by B&T AG, who has been an OEM supplier to HK for MP5 barrels, optic rails, and sound suppressors. It is a very smooth shooting blowback design with a hydraulic buffer that really smoothes it out. It has a full length top picatinney rail for easy optic mounting. It has fully ambidextrous controls. The model that won the competition has a removable AR pistol grip. And it features a last round bolt hold open, which is fully ambidextrous. The ergos are better than the M16 FOW (the ambi bolt catch design is an improvement IMO), yet sufficiently similar that it will be an easy transition from the M16 FOW (and back to the M16 FOW) for end users.

It is easily suppressed and despite its straight blowback design, it doesn’t dump a ton of gas/carbon in the user’s face. The extractor design is vastly superior to that of the HK MP5. It’s highly reliable. Numbers I’ve seen from other end user testing prior to the Army competition re: MRBS and MRBF are outstanding.

It’s also far easier to support at an armorer level than the mp5. And it doesn’t require different locking pieces for suppressed vs unsuppresed use or for different bullet weights (the latter is not really a consideration in the context of mil issue).

I say all of this as a dyed in the wool mp5 fanatic. I have an all German MP5K-N and MP5-N, both select fire SMGs. If both the APC9 and MP5 were offered, both were select fire SMGs, and I could only choose one, I would take the APC9 over the MP5 without hesitation.

The APC9 is truly (IMO) the best in class current SMG on the market.
    Bad ass review, I had no idea. Great to know, but honestly my pocket book wished I never asked.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Josh speaking truth.
    I love B&T stuff

Feedback Score
    What kind of Army unit would be carrying one of these? I kind of thought the days of the 9mm SMG (other than the "cool" factor) were of a bygone era. I mean they have M4 shorties that fill most of those gaps a 9mm SMG used to fill.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    What kind of Army unit would be carrying one of these? I kind of thought the days of the 9mm SMG (other than the "cool" factor) were of a bygone era. I mean they have M4 shorties that fill most of those gaps a 9mm SMG used to fill.
    Supposedly PSDs.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Can that thing fire with the stock collapsed? Appears the stock blocks the ejection port. Also, is there anything to keeping the machine screws from backing out?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Yes, it can fire with the stock collapsed. There’s a relief in the right arm to allow it to do so.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very interesting HK, Steyr, FN, chose not to submit. This is, traditionally, their niche. I'm assuming contract stipulated 9mm.... I just want a 9mm PS90. Or MP7. Both? Perhaps if the contract was larger it'd warrant a response from HK, FN, etc.

Also interesting that concealment was a primary concern and yet they went with this particular B&T offering. The TP9 seems the more appropriate model? Maybe they wanted similar manipulations as an AR system.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioActivity View Post
    Very interesting HK, Steyr, FN, chose not to submit. This is, traditionally, their niche. I'm assuming contract stipulated 9mm.... I just want a 9mm PS90. Or MP7. Both? Perhaps if the contract was larger it'd warrant a response from HK, FN, etc.

Also interesting that concealment was a primary concern and yet they went with this particular B&T offering. The TP9 seems the more appropriate model? Maybe they wanted similar manipulations as an AR system.
    What modern subgun does HK make in 9mm these days? The UMP9? That's not really that compact. The TP9 from what I understand was sold by Steyr to B&T but I read has some vertical stringing on full auto. So I guess the B&T SMG APC9 is the best option on the market for a compact modern subgun.

Look what I found on their website, the B&T VP9 veterinary pistol- a humane solution for societies problems.

"The VP9 is, as a repeating pistol in calibre 9 x 19 mm with an integrated suppressor, the most quiet pistol in this calibre on the market."

https://www.bt-ag.ch/shop/eng/bt-vp9...x-19-bt-410000
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 05-05-19 at 13:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    MP7, but I'm assuming 9mm was mandated in the contract.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast