Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308 vs win mag for hunting purposes??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

308 vs win mag for hunting purposes??

Hey huys I just wanted to run by the forum what has been on my mind...

I am on the verge of moving back to AZ and want to buy a hunting rifle. This will by my first non AR or tactical gun. The primary use would be to shoot hogs, elk, deer, lions during the hunting seasons. The main question I have is:

"does the extra velocity of the magnum really matter for close range hunting?"

The only critter I am concerned with taking would be the ELK. I wouldnt be shooting them past 300 yards and would be using only solid or bonded hunting bullets. The magnum might help me load heavier bullets, but otherwise the 308 and any magnum have similar bullet selection. The main difference I have observed here is velocity. The magnum is running about 500 FPS faster, but is that even useful for my application? It seems that 30 cal bullets moving at more modest velocities have great penetration, where as when they are moving faster its more of the explosive varmint liquidator effect. Impressive yes, but neccessary for killing?

For refence I am looking at the lever actions made by browning and henry. The BLR and long Ranger.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The .308 is plenty for elk especially within 200-250 yds. I would have thought it would start running out of steam for elk but my dad had a one shot kill on a bull elk at about 320 yds. He was an excellent shot though. 180 gr CoreLockts is what we always used but nowadays there are so many excellently constructed bullets for elk. In the wide open I would go with a premium mono or bonded bullet in 165 gr to get a little more velocity at the 300 yd area. Personally I never shot at anything much beyond 200 out here in the PNW woods.

The .300 WM is a fine cartridge as long as you are OK with the bit more recoil and ammo cost and longer barrel. .308 rifles are often 18”-22” whereas the magnums are typically 24-26”. Likely not an issue in AZ, but in our thick woods and steep ridge climbing every inch and ounce matters.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Lots of guys shoot elk at 300yds with 308 here in Colorado.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hey Thanks for the quick response guys!

I'll buy a 308 without worrying now.

Feedback Score
    I chose the .308 for those ranges
    The .308 recoil is light there fore I can concentrate on bullet placement not the scope eye I might get if I'm not holding the .300 right.

And I'm a broke --- reloader so the .308 can get the 500 yard deer with less powder. Past 500 yards the 300 shines in every way. That being said I wouldn't switch from my 3006 till I new that a shot past 800yrds was possible. For the simple reason that I know this rifle very well and I know what its going to do out there with just about every wind situation that I'm going to encounter...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    With the right load there is not much in North America that a .308 cannot humanely takedown. I chuckle to myself when I hear hunters talk about the .300 Win Mag they bought for hunting eastern whitetails.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use a .308 DPMS G2 Hunter for elk in Oregon. That was to be my do it all hunting rifle. I added a 7mm Rem Magnum to my toolbox was after I started hunting mule deer in Central Oregon. There is almost no concealment in that area and those deer seem to have an uncanny 350-400 yard buffer zone. I spent two years tracking and bumping for miles trying to get my sub 300 yard .308 shot and I could never quite manage it. It doesn't help that Im 6'3 and 270. Other than the wide open hunting 308 will get it done.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What part of Az you moving to?

My work buddy bought a Bergara HMR 6.5 Creedmoor about a year ago and that rifle is getting passed around his family for elk hunting this last year or so. It's taken 3 good sized cows at ranges from 300 to just under 500 yards. All measured by laser. The 143 ELD-X is getting nearly full penetration on broad side shots with the expanded bullet being in the off hand hide. It's taken a couple mule deer as well.

Im not trying to start a 6.5CM is king contest, just sharing some accounts of a round in the same class being more than effective on elk here. A good 308 is a very good elk cartridge. My buddy used a 270 for about 20 years prior to the 6.5 and he feels the 6.5 works just as well.

I remember watching a video on youtube not to long ago about the best cartridges for elk hunting. The video was made by a professional elk guide up in Colorado or Idaho. He said that he has had to track and lost more elk shot with/at the big magnums than with the "lowly" 308/270/30-06. He said the standard cartridges were more than sufficient and that the magnum shooter had flinches and poor marksmanship more often than the standard cartridge shooters.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    My oldest daughter killed this cow at a lasered 375 yards, using her 20" .308.

A single shot directly behind the shoulder as instructed, using the Tikka I set up for her.

Complete penetration. No bonded bullet either. 155 grain Lapua Scenar.

And here is another elk she killed the next year with the same rifle:

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    This cow elk was killed this last December at 615 yards with my little 20" .308 Tikka.

Again, a single shot, no bonded bullets. Just a Lapua Scenar.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast