Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 308 vs win mag for hunting purposes??

Feedback Score
    More Cows killed with .308s.

This time using my Sako TRG.

Range was right at 400 yards.

Two shots, Two Bang-flops.

My dad and I were done for the season.

It was not until the range exceeded 600 yards have I actually caught a projectile in an elk using a .308.

I will note that I am pretty selective in my shooting, and don't take "low percentage" shots.

The punchline is that the .308 is fine for elk within your self imposed limited range of 300 yards.

I also use a .300 wm during the late season when the ranges can get long, but definitely think that for most people, shooting at typical ranges, the .308 is an excellent choice.

.300 WM elk:

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    One thing I might suggest is to research your accuracy potential of the lever actions you were considering.

Not many lever actions have the inherent accuracy I personally would consider sufficient to be taking 300 +/- yards on big game animals and they deserve to be taken cleanly.

I would strongly suggest you look at Tikka T3 rifles. Out of the box they are exceptional.

This is my elk from season before last, using my .300 wm. If I recall, I believe it was mid 400s. I have my notes somewhere, but I am pretty sure it was not over 500.

And a 300+ yard rather large and healthy song dog that was too close to a certain ranch right during calving season.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    308 is fine for your intended use. But your intended use could easily change in AZ to 500 yard shots then you need a 300WM. I like and own both, but if we’re buying just one hunting gun, I would buy a 300.

Good luck either way.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hey everyone thanks for the great replys and pictures!!

I originally said I wanted a lever gun, but I am way to tempted to pick up a Savage MSR 10 hunter at their mil discount. I guess I am getting a semi auto tactical gun after all. When I get my first bolt gun that will probably be a 300 WM. My buddy has one I can shoot while he is using the 50.

@PB- if you dont mind sharing where do you hunt that it could go in excess of 500? I was thinking about hunting in Flagstaff off the 40. They have woods and clearings up there. I guess some of the clearings could get in excess of 500, but a 300m max range should still cover alot of the shooting. I have tons of time around firearms and the military but this is my first animal hunt and just want it to be ethical. I'm thinking about taking my MSR-10 out to ben avery when I get it to get some DOPE at various ranges. I'd love to come blast with you and MarkM sometimes too, but summer is coming so I dont know if you guys are still active. PM if you want.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Hey everyone thanks for the great replys and pictures!!

I originally said I wanted a lever gun, but I am way to tempted to pick up a Savage MSR 10 hunter at their mil discount. I guess I am getting a semi auto tactical gun after all. When I get my first bolt gun that will probably be a 300 WM. My buddy has one I can shoot while he is using the 50.

@PB- if you dont mind sharing where do you hunt that it could go in excess of 500? I was thinking about hunting in Flagstaff off the 40. They have woods and clearings up there. I guess some of the clearings could get in excess of 500, but a 300m max range should still cover alot of the shooting. I have tons of time around firearms and the military but this is my first animal hunt and just want it to be ethical. I'm thinking about taking my MSR-10 out to ben avery when I get it to get some DOPE at various ranges. I'd love to come blast with you and MarkM sometimes too, but summer is coming so I dont know if you guys are still active. PM if you want.
    We hunt in unit 22/23 Payson area. But in Flag, you would find any distance you were confortable to shoot. It’s wide open i. You have to get drawn first though, that’s the bitch.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Lost river - can we be friends?

I have some swampland and nightvision you can try if you aren’t afraid of gators or mosquitos or Zika.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Lost river - can we be friends?

I have some swampland and nightvision you can try if you aren’t afraid of gators or mosquitos or Zika.
    Seriously. I'll make the steaks.

Lost River is living The Good Lyfe(tm).

Feedback Score
    For the best part of 100yrs , the .30-06 was considered both the most versatile all around rifle, and unquestionably the yard stick against which everything else was compared, for every aspect . ( Hint - the simplified version is the '06 split the difference between the later .308 and .300WinMag .

And the widely available , if somewhat simplified answer for the masses of " What hunting ctg has about the same recoil as .30-06, similar muzzle energy, and shoots way far away , and able to find ammo every place ammo is sold ? " , the answer is 7mm RemMag .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12