Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vite D and Suicide

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I've lived far enough north where the sun doesn't really rise high enough in the winter to do much, and it really messed with me. The sun rose at like 9am and set at 3pm, and at noon it would be just high enough you could see the whole thing over the tall buildings. Of course it was overcast ninety five percent of the time, so you never saw it anyways. I never appreciated how great it is living in a southern latitude until that experience. I also used to live in an apartment that had a tanning bed in the gym, and that did make a noticeable difference in winter.

Honestly, though, it's really hard to get past the mental part, even with the tanning bed. I think the effects of living in a northerly latitude are almost entirely psychological.
    Sounds like somewhere in Alaska. I won't credit Vite D with Alaska's highest in the nation suicide rate since we also have about the highest drug and alcohol abuse rates as well (maybe that's because of lack of Vite D).. who knows (shrug).. I don't take a Vite D supplement, but I probably should. Lack of light doesn't bother me. I make sure I get outside every day regardless of the weather.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Sounds like somewhere in Alaska. I won't credit Vite D with Alaska's highest in the nation suicide rate since we also have about the highest drug and alcohol abuse rates as well (maybe that's because of lack of Vite D).. who knows (shrug).. I don't take a Vite D supplement, but I probably should. Lack of light doesn't bother me. I make sure I get outside every day regardless of the weather.
    I think the suicide rate is fairly high there. It was common to have your train delayed because someone had jumped in front of it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Suicide rates correlate strongly with locations with less daylight. It would be overly simplistic to assume that's due to a lack of D exclusively (see OP), but as healthy D levels have so many benefits, it's a no brainer to have levels checked and adjust accordingly.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think the suicide rate is fairly high there. It was common to have your train delayed because someone had jumped in front of it.
    2018, top 3 were:

1. Montana
    2. Alaska
    3. Wyoming
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    2018, top 3 were:

1. Montana
    2. Alaska
    3. Wyoming
    This wasn't any of those places, but probably about the same latitude. All I can say is it seriously messes with you. You literally want to hibernate.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This wasn't any of those places, but probably about the same latitude. All I can say is it seriously messes with you. You literally want to hibernate.
    Living in NE, I really disliked the winters on various levels, and moved to FL a few years ago. Life is way to short for it getting dark at 3;30, weather, etc. I always experienced some SAD, and it only got worse with age. F that.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Thank you for sharing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    I had an MD tell me once that he stopped even testing patients for Vite D level because almost everyone he had ever tested had came back low. He just told people as a general recommendation to add a daily D supplement to their routine.

It is my understanding that Vit D2 ( inactive form) needs sunlight ( UV B radiation) to activate it to Vit D3. What’s interesting is that UVB radiation is available during daytime between 10 am and 3 pm. Between Oct/Nov to Mar/Apr, above the latitude of Atlanta Ga, because of the way the earth tilts, the UVB radiation gets filtered out by the atmosphere during this time frame. This is why the more north you go the less Vit D conversion there is. I do not know if there is a latitude where no conversion occurs at all times of the year.

What does this mean? The rate of stress fractures and nonunions/delayed unions ( bones not healing) are up especially during the 1st quarter of the year. This is confirmed by the bone stimulator sales during this time frame. It would be interesting to see if Suicides are temporal and if the first quarter has a spike.

Historically, Vit D3 use to be put in foods and even beer as an additive. In the 50s, a family with Williams Syndrome ( hypersensitivity to VitD3) in the U.K. died because of the additives so they were stopped worldwide. What’s fascinating is that in Finland, the year after they started to not put the Vit D3 in food, the incidence of Diabetes Type 1 skyrocketed. True true and unrelated? It would be interesting to compare the suicide rates pre 1950 and post.

It would be interesting to look at the suicide data through the lens of geography as well as time. Thanks for the post WillBrink.

http://breweriana.com/img/product/la...2c7e04a8df.jpg
    Last edited by ftbear; 04-07-19 at 06:48.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ftbear View Post
    It is my understanding that Vit D2 ( inactive form) needs sunlight ( UV B radiation) to activate it to Vit D3. What’s interesting is that UVB radiation is available during daytime between 10 am and 3 pm. Between Oct/Nov to Mar/Apr, above the latitude of Atlanta Ga, because of the way the earth tilts, the UVB radiation gets filtered out by the atmosphere during this time frame. This is why the more north you go the less Vit D conversion there is. I do not know if there is a latitude where no conversion occurs at all times of the year.

What does this mean? The rate of stress fractures and nonunions/delayed unions ( bones not healing) are up especially during the 1st quarter of the year. This is confirmed by the bone stimulator sales during this time frame. It would be interesting to see if Suicides are temporal and if the first quarter has a spike.

Historically, Vit D3 use to be put in foods and even beer as an additive. In the 50s, a family with Williams Syndrome ( hypersensitivity to VitD3) in the U.K. died because of the additives so they were stopped worldwide. What’s fascinating is that in Finland, the year after they started to not put the Vit D3 in food, the incidence of Diabetes Type 1 skyrocketed. True true and unrelated? It would be interesting to compare the suicide rates pre 1950 and post.

It would be interesting to look at the suicide data through the lens of geography as well as time. Thanks for the post WillBrink.

http://breweriana.com/img/product/la...2c7e04a8df.jpg
    Lots of interesting points to unpack there. Here's a solid article for those who want to get a full handle on vite D in terms of how to go about understanding the topic and do something about it:

https://brinkzone.com/vitamin-d-what...to-achieve-it/
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast