Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vite D and Suicide

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Source? Homo sapiens from say 100k - 200k years ago who didn't die at birth lived to an average age of late/mid 70s?
    https://sci-hub.se/10.1111/j.1728-4457.2007.00171.x

The average modal age of adult death for hunter-gatherers is 72 with a range of 68–78 years. This range appears to be the closest functional equivalent of an “adaptive” human life span.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Been working nights and keep my schedule for a decade. If I ever kill myself, it will be because Ive just seen enough shit from people and am done, not sunlight. It hurts my eyes, lol

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Bumping this thread with a new study vs starting a new thread. Not a terribly surprising finding, but FYI:

The relationship between vitamin D status and depression in a tactical athlete population

Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition volume 16, Article number: 40 (2019)

Abstract
    Background

Stressors inherent to the military, such as combat exposure, separation from family, and strenuous training, collectively contribute to compromised psychological resilience and greatly impact military performance.
    Methods

This retrospective review of records was conducted to determine whether vitamin D status was associated with diagnoses of depression and if diagnoses differed by geographic location.

Results

Depression (defined using diagnostic codes) was more prevalent in individuals who were diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency (20.4%) than in individuals who were not (4.2%). After adjustment, vitamin D deficient diagnoses remained significantly associated with depression diagnoses (OR = 1.22; 95% CI, 1.11–1.33, p < 0.001). Furthermore, vitamin D deficient diagnoses were strongly associated with geographic latitude (r2 = 0.92, p = 0.002).

Conclusion

These results suggest that service members stationed at installations located at northerly latitudes may be at increased risk for vitamin D deficiency. Furthermore, vitamin D deficient service members may be at higher risk for diagnosis of depression. As a number of military service members avoid reporting symptoms or seeking treatment, vitamin D status may be a useful screening tool to identify service members at risk for depression.

Full Paper:

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/arti...70-019-0308-5?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Seems like Vitamin D deficiency is a common thing these days. Especially in older people. I've gone from working outdoors to being a desk jockey the last few years. I can tell my mood is different. Of course, I hate being behind a desk. Sucks. Less exercise/movement and I have an office I call the dungeon. It is in the back of the dept and has no outdoor light.

Feedback Score
    My doctor advised us to give Vitamin D to both our children, though our son is more than 4 year old. But I didn't know, it is good for adults.

Feedback Score
    I absolutely hate being out in the sun... All my jobs have me out in it, and I'm so afraid of skin cancer that I wear a coat and a boonie hat all summer long to lower my risks. I just much rather sweat to death than let the sun touch my skin... So getting vitamin D through sun exposure is a no go for me.

But I should probably have my vitamin D levels checked, because I'm very prone to negative thinking, feeling depressed and suicidal thoughts... Though I admit that I think feeling that way has more to do with the circumstances of my life than something that can be simply fixed by adding more vitamin D into my diet... It's worth a shot to try it though.

Feedback Score
    I think this study brings up a very important topic. When I wrote an essay for the university about suicide and causes that led to it, I also talked about the fact that vitamin D deficiency can cause suicidal thoughts and depression. And I found a lot of interesting information on the site https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/suicide/ while writing my paper. But I even experienced on myself that vitamin D deficiency can leed to depression. I think that even doctors should talk about it more often.
    Last edited by SpencerDixon; 09-16-20 at 11:48.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234