Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ear pro for the youngsters

Feedback Score
    For what it's worth, I wear both ear plugs and muffs that have NO sound adjustment capability. As a youngster (15) I wore no ear protection either in shooting or motorcycle riding. I kept doing that until entering military service at age 18 where we had to wear ear plug at the range. Started wearing ear plugs after that, except when motorcycle riding. At around age 53 my hearing started going south as a result of my own stupidity as a youngster and now some 15 yrs later I only have about 45% of my hearing left. So beware all....there is a price to pay if you don't protect your hearing.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Foamies and cups if possible. IME, the big problem with muffs is that eye pro will interfere with them and break the seal. I can see this being a bigger problem on kids. Finding them properly fitting eye pro will go a long way.
    Very good point that I forgot to mention. That's why I put gel pads on my kid's Peltors; the firmer OEM foam pads don't seal as well over the eye protection temples. By the way, I also come from about 20+ years of riding motorcycles, and always wore ear plugs under my helmet (molded silicone plugs - more comfortable than foamies for me).

As for myself, I always double up with plugs under my electronic ear muffs; whether shooting indoors or out. I have some tinnitus from the years of shooting in my youth with only foam ear plugs because I didn't know any better.

Feedback Score
    I'm glad the OP cares. I have mild to moderate hearing loss in my right ear from childhood. Mostly because of a bad doctor, but that's a different story. I'm only 27.

I'm so paranoid about my hearing, I almost gave up shooting. The first time I shot a 50 cal, the blast/movement of the rifle pushed off the earpro on my right ear. Luckily it didn't have an impact on my hearing. Since, I started doubling up and will continue to do so. I am currently looking at upgrading my earpro setup, but custom molded ear pro, electronic? I'm not sure where to start.

With kids especially, be careful with the earpro that sticks in their ears as it's pretty easy for kids to get ear infections.

EDIT: Noisefighter gel cups claim to help with eyepro breaking the seal of the earpro. I am waiting for a review from someone I trust like MM. I'm thinking of getting a pair myself.
    Last edited by Hulkstr8; 04-04-19 at 11:42.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Time to visit Amazon. I really appreciate everyone's help. My 4 year old just asked when we are going out again. He wasn't discouraged.

Feedback Score
    If you are young and don't want to end up with profound hearing loss like I have along with the others who posted here, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use hearing protection. And if I may, lather on the SPF 50 ---this is from a guy who is social security/medicare eligible, has 2 Re-Sound aids at a not so cheap 2k EACH, had multiple sun induced cancerous and pre-cancerous lesions removed and now has religion!
    When I was young you never wore ear gear and laughed at the ringing after 100 rounds of 12 gauge at the skeet range. You also used iodine in baby oil to potentiate the sun--can you say stupid.
    Now we live with the consequences.

Be smarter than I was.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    This is the set up I use for my son:

https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Sport-.../dp/B000I7NX5E

Replaced the Peltor foam with Noisefighters gel pads which are more comfortable and conform better:
    https://noisefighters.com/products/sightlines1

And use them over silicone ear plugs which don't go into the ear canal (NRR 22 db):
    https://www.amazon.com/Macks-Pillow-.../dp/B003LZQGN6
    Order placed. Thank you!!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    EDIT: Noisefighter gel cups claim to help with eyepro breaking the seal of the earpro. I am waiting for a review from someone I trust like MM. I'm thinking of getting a pair myself.
    The Noisefighter gel cups work the same as the Peltor or Sordin gel cups, except that they have a relief at the top on which your eyeglass temples sit (if you choose). Either way, gel cups work better than foam cups (in my experience) over eyewear temples. I did a writeup on the Noisefighters here: http://www.militarymorons.com/equipm...tml#sightlines

OP - I forgot that I had an illustration in the above review (at the bottom) that shows how small the different ear muffs adjust to, and why the Howard Leights did not work for my kid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    The Noisefighter gel cups work the same as the Peltor or Sordin gel cups, except that they have a relief at the top on which your eyeglass temples sit (if you choose). Either way, gel cups work better than foam cups (in my experience) over eyewear temples. I did a writeup on the Noisefighters here: http://www.militarymorons.com/equipm...tml#sightlines
    You're too ****ing cool.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    You're too ****ing cool.
    Now, if only you could convince my wife of that...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12