Thread: Scope Recommendations Wanted

Feedback Score

Scope Recommendations Wanted

I'd like to get a scope for my Browning X-Bolt Hunter 308. I'm looking for something "all around" for hunting deer, black bear, elk, possibly pigs, depending on where I'm at. My work situation is going to put me on the road for the next few years (6 months here, 4 months there, 9 months wherever), and I like to pack light. I could be sent anywhere from North Dakota to Seattle to Utah/Arizona, etc. And I'd like to bring the rifle if I have a chance to hunt. My point is, I don't know the specific area I might be hunting, so I couldn't tell you range, terrain, even game, and even then, it would likely be a very different hunt next season. I'm truly after a "one size fits all" here.

So I've done some research, and I've narrowed my scope options down to two. Either a Leupold VX-2 2-7x33, or a Leupold fixed power FX-2 4x33, both with duplex reticle.

I am leaning toward the fixed power 4x because I like to keep things simple, and it's the generally accepted old school "all arounder." Although I'm not 100% convinced. I'd like to be swayed by some experienced people here.

All opinions, thoughts, recommendations are welcome.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Falshooter View Post
    I'd like to get a scope for my Browning X-Bolt Hunter 308. I'm looking for something "all around" for hunting deer, black bear, elk, possibly pigs, depending on where I'm at. My work situation is going to put me on the road for the next few years (6 months here, 4 months there, 9 months wherever), and I like to pack light. I could be sent anywhere from North Dakota to Seattle to Utah/Arizona, etc. And I'd like to bring the rifle if I have a chance to hunt. My point is, I don't know the specific area I might be hunting, so I couldn't tell you range, terrain, even game, and even then, it would likely be a very different hunt next season. I'm truly after a "one size fits all" here.

So I've done some research, and I've narrowed my scope options down to two. Either a Leupold VX-2 2-7x33, or a Leupold fixed power FX-2 4x33, both with duplex reticle.

I am leaning toward the fixed power 4x because I like to keep things simple, and it's the generally accepted old school "all arounder." Although I'm not 100% convinced. I'd like to be swayed by some experienced people here.

All opinions, thoughts, recommendations are welcome.
    I think 4X is keeping it a little too simple. If I were in your shoes I could live with a fixed 10 power scope but something in the 4X16 range would be more practical IMO.

Feedback Score
    The SWFA fixed 6x is an excellent choice for hunting. Great field of view and excellent repeatability and tracking.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I like and use the Swaro Z3 3-9x36 with plex reticle. Lightweight, great clarity and resolution and very little parallax shift out to 200 or yards. If Leupold, I'd be fine with a VX-3 in the same magnification range.

A 3-9 from a quality manufacturer is the new fixed 4x of old, IMHO.

OP, your bigger issue might be drawing tags in whatever state you find yourself. Especially out west where most of our states have specific dates in which non-residents must apply for licenses/tags.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Fixed power probably isn't the solution for a "one size fits all" scope. I would spring for a 3-9 with a duplex 2nd focal plane reticle. You can hunt hogs with it at 3x, and still be able to take intermediate shots at deer with it on 9x. Illumination would also be very nice.
    Last edited by okie; 04-04-19 at 10:46.

Feedback Score
    I’d definitely go with a 2-7 or 3-9 for a do all scope. Even Vortex’s low-end Diamondback scopes are good for the money with decent specs. I got one temporarily mounted on top of my Mk12 for now it’s a good scope for the money.

Feedback Score
    Was a long time since I ever spent much money on my scopes. I try to find quality at a low price. I know how important scopes can be and that is why I try to get as much information about them as I can, reading on places like riflescope reviews, I recently read with great interest a story in a hunting magazine in which the author extolled the virtues of using 4-14 and 6-24 variable power scopes for ALL of his deer hunting. He also mentions another hunter/writer who had recently penned an article that sang the praises of fixed power scopes as simpler, more dependable and all the typical hunter will ever need, saying he certainly could not agree with that.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    A fixed 4x isn't versatile and is likely to be too little for many hunting scenarios out west. And too much in deep woods.

The 2-7x is OK, but that's ancient technology, like circa 1980. Do you still use a rotary dial telephone? 5x1 and 6x1 zoom ranges are common now, 4x1 is practically standard. Look at stuff in the 2-10x and 3-12x range, where there are many dozens if not hundreds of choices. To pick just one choice, the scope below is an absolute steal:

https://www.tractoptics.com/products...5-10x42-t-plex

If you prefer Leupold over others, check out the VX5 and VX6 lines.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've pretty much settled in on the 3.5 x 15 range of optics for general purpose hunting. Allows me to easily shoot out to 500 yards. Actually farther if need be and I'm 100% positive I have a great shot. The Leupold scopes in the VX5 and 6 line are very good. I have a VX5-HD on my Winchester Extreme Weather in 7mm08 and love it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Vortex 1-6 or 1-8 might be worth a look.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"