Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual suppressed/unsuppressed use - POI and Gas

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Dual suppressed/unsuppressed use - POI and Gas

I’ve always had rifles 100% dedicated to suppressed and unsuppressed use. I didn’t like dealing with excess gas or 2+ MOA shifts with a can attached.

I got bored and put this together and would like it to serve a dual role for both suppressed and unsuppressed use. I have a Gemtech BCG in it that didn’t do very much for a 10.5”/11.5” Carbine but seems to be helpful on a 16” Middy with less gas pressure. That helps somewhat with the gas but I’m still unsure how to deal with the POI shift.

With a LPVO and exposed turrets you can simply dial for the shift. Not so with an ACOG or Aimpoint.

How do you guys deal with that, especially when the shift is off to 10:00 and not straight up and down.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm interested in this as well...Like you said, I can dial it on my Recce, but with the carbine wearing an RDS, I've been using the ol' Kentucky Windage. Curious if there is a better way...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You have to pic a priority zero. I.e. if you're more likely to shoot one config over another for longer distances, zero that.... and know your hold for shorter distances.

Only other option is to get a barrel that doesn't shift POI... or only shifts vertically.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    If you have a flash hider, could you shim it so you have vertical-only poi shift?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have not noticed any truly meaningful shift on any of my AR’s. I’ve printed them on paper and noticed a shift, but in real practice I hit 10” plates out to 300, on the clock, both suppressed and unsuppressed with ease. There are significantly greater levels of accuracy, I understand, but for me being able to go 30/30 on a VTAC barrier after running anywhere from 0-300 is more than acceptable.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    1. Establish zero without can
    2. Add can
    3. Measure POI shift
    4. Adjust reticle to the halfway point of the zero shift

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    I have not noticed any truly meaningful shift on any of my AR’s.
    It varies barrel to barrel. I've had no shift, droop, POI upshift, and even the dreaded shift that Euro describes.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I tape an offset and drop table to my stock. However the AR I shoot the most actually doesn't have any POI shift with a can, which is surprising given it is a Form 1 can that is kind of heavy. The barrel is an 18" medium heavy profile Nordic. I have had more POI shift with shorter barrels and lighter profiles.

In terms of the gas setting, I have also found the longer gas system barrels are much less susceptible to overgassing, and changes to gas drive from being suppressed. My 18" rifle gas runs perfectly with or without the can.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I buy barrels with medium to heavy contours and never in the government profile so that they flex less when the can is mounted. I also use suppressor mounts which show little POI shift such as Dead Air Key-Mo and Surefire. Luckily, I haven’t had anything other than a little vertical shifting yet

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice setup, Euro! Can you tell about the laser? I've been toying with the idea of getting one for my USAF M4A1 configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    ...With a LPVO and exposed turrets you can simply dial for the shift. Not so with an ACOG or Aimpoint...
    I use the Forward Controls ATA turret caps (that I helped design) on my Aimpoint T2 and H2

They allow easy adjustment with a common screw driver, coin or cartridge rim without removing the caps.

Installation is simple. They allow the shooter to count clicks when making adjustments. The photos show the version with the silver discs, but an all black version is also available.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-06-19 at 10:06.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast