Thread: NFA Trust Question

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

NFA Trust Question

Since you guys were helpful last time, I got another one for you. I'm going to have plenty in the next couple months. :-)

Things are coming together and it looks like I will be a resident of NC at the end of May.

Trying not to waste any time, I want to set up an NFA Trust in anticipation of the move so that I can order two suppressor ASAP and settle in for the long wait. I learned that I do not have to be in an NFA friendly state to set up a trust so I figured, might as well get it out of the way.

With suppressor it seems it won't matter but if the Trust is set up in NJ and I Form 1 and SBR in NC, won't the engraving say "XYZ Trust, East Brunswick NJ"? Does that mean I have to perpetually fill out a 5320.20 to keep my SBR in NC?

Set me straight.

Thanks in advance.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Short answer, no and no.

Longerish answer... You are going to wait until you're in NC before you do the form 1. It would read XYZ Trust, Someplace, NC. You are in NC when you make it. If you are really worried about it, change the address on the trust to your new NC address.

Better way to do it... Wait till you're in NC to set up the trust. If you're going the attorney route, find one now, call then and get the ball rolling if you want, and sign the papers when you move. Mine took 2 days via attorney. If you're doing the DIY route, it's even quicker.
    nothing screams napoleonic warfare more than cannons roaring in the background

Feedback Score
    What gets engraved is the city and state where the firearm is made. Actually has nothing to do with what the trust says, or where you live. But you could definitely set one up now.

Most trusts shouldn’t actually have an address. You maybe have addresses to help identify trustees/beneficiaries, but not for the trust itself.

BTW...when you get here in NC, check in with THSF to buy your silencer(s) and get F1 items engraved. They’ll take good care of you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I knew I could count on you guys!

Thanks as always!
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.