Thread: Which AK-47 mag pouches do you guys run?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Which AK-47 mag pouches do you guys run?

Posted this in the "Other Semi-automatic Rifles" forum but forgot it might be better off in the Tactical Gear section.

Anyway, I'm starting to get back in to AK's a little bit so I've been runnin' & gunnin' with them lately. Was thinking of setting up a belt similar to my M4 rig (HSGI battle belt) so was curious what you guys use as far as 7.62x39 mag holders. I run Esstac KYWI's for my M4 but I don't believe they make them for AK magazines. Anyone have experience with the G-Code Softshell Scorpions for running the AK? Not interested in closed top designs. Thanks.

Gratuitous pic of the AK i've been training with lately...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    EMDOM, because I provided input into what I wanted to see in a single/double AK mag pouch:
    https://www.emdomusa.com/Emdom-MM-AK...h-p/eu080a.htm

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I used the hsgi Tacos when I had my AK and they worked really well. I’ve owned the soft shell scorpions and they are my favorite. However I can’t speak to how well the g-codes work with ak mags though. They are great for M4 and pistol mags though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    EMDOM, because I provided input into what I wanted to see in a single/double AK mag pouch:
    Best ones I have seen.

MM, well done.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Thanks, I like EMDOM's stuff. I am however looking for retention type carriers instead of closed top or bungee.

Quote Originally Posted by rfairman View Post
    I used the hsgi Tacos when I had my AK and they worked really well. I’ve owned the soft shell scorpions and they are my favorite. However I can’t speak to how well the g-codes work with ak mags though. They are great for M4 and pistol mags though.
    Thanks for the input. Was considering the Tacos as well. Did you find that they close in on themselves after pulling a mag out and thus making re-holstering a magazine somewhat difficult or slow?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyt16 View Post
    Thanks, I like EMDOM's stuff. I am however looking for retention type carriers instead of closed top or bungee.

Thanks for the input. Was considering the Tacos as well. Did you find that they close in on themselves after pulling a mag out and thus making re-holstering a magazine somewhat difficult or slow?
    I did notice that and it kinda drove me crazy. The g-code don’t do that. The technique I had to use was to take the top of the mag and pull it back against the plastic retention strip and that would help open it up. However it was still a PITA! No issues like that with g-code

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Work well, takes 6 mags, 2 grenades and have map pouch.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have yet to find a way to carry AK mags that is really satisfactory IMO.

I have a drop down thigh rig with two single mag pouches and that works good but obviously is not enough for any sustained use.

A lot of people like the chest rigs but I haven't really seen one of those that I would buy either.

Much better gear made for ARs.
    I even have better gear for my FAL.

One day maybe someone will get it worked out.

Part of the problem is the size and shape of the mags as well as the weight limiting ways to carry them.

Most of the chest rigs have 4 two mag pouches and for a chest rig, I'd prefer just single mag pouches. for more freedom of movement.
    I don't really care for chest rigs though. To many years of carrying gear on my belts.

Perhaps a belt pouch for two and/or three cells with a real stout belt attachment point as well as something that gives it a firm backing to prevent tugging and decent dividers to prevent rattling.
    Make it a Molle pouch you can put on anything and there you go.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    You could try DA's speed reload pouch:

https://us.directactiongear.com/spee...ouch-rifle#MCM

Disclaimer- I don't use an AK, and I don't have this pouch. But I have some of their other pouches, and they seem decent enough.

You could also try Tyr's "happy" combat adjustable- no idea how well it would work with AK mags, but it says it can fit .308 mags, so why not AK?
    They're pretty thick pouches, and expensive, but VERY good retention, and don't crush closed to bad:

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/...ppy-rifle-mag/

I don't think this would work so well on a belt, but for a side-cummberbund pouch, I'd recommend trying the Emdom "Universal" mag pouch. One of my favorite so far for that specific application. I had the "original/Gen1" version, so I can't say what difference the Gen 2 design changes make, so YMMV.

As far as taco-type mag pouches self-closing, I haven't seen ANY that don't do this to some degree- and I've tried quite a few. The catch is to find one that 1) doesn't "crush" further closed if you lay on it, and 2) pinches closed less than average.

To be fair, I have seen very little equipment in general that seems interesting for use for an AK that wasn't some sort of purpose-built chest rig. Almost everything seems like either a "universal" pouch, which are always the perfect solution for everything ( ), or sort of "shoehorning" the AK into an AR design, so... good luck in your search.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 04-22-19 at 20:51.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment