Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What barrel is closest to a 14.5" SOCOM but mid-length gas?

Feedback Score

What barrel is closest to a 14.5" SOCOM but mid-length gas?

Looking for a chrome lined one as part of my spec.

That thread about M855A1 got me thinking about how one could upgrade the M4A1 for the future (not talking gas piston though). I figured that first off a mid-length gas system would be optimal, but using the vaunted 14.5" SOCOM barrel as a base unit is the best choice. Now trying to find one with roughly those specs without it being over-gassed, i.e. proper port size.

Then I would use an LMT Enhanced BCG, either with or without the E bolt. The E carrier in and of itself delays extraction and (just as importantly) has extra vent holes to allow excess gas to bleed off instead of build up inside and on the bolt.

If I did not use the E bolt then the bolt would have to be plated/coated, be it hard chrome or maybe Geissele's new Nano-coating, something that had natural lubricity and hardness at the same time. Would make carbon less likely to build up and speed up cleaning.

So if one was a .mil member and could "roll his own" weapon while being issued M855A1 I think the above specs would be a great start. The mid-length gas would begin the "taming" of the M855A1 and be complemented by the delayed extraction of the E carrier. The extra gas vent holes and coated bolt would be gravy.

I know Sionics makes a "medium profile" middie, but not sure how they're ported with regard to size. Anyone else make such a unicorn barrel or close to it?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You just described a Hodge Defense barrel.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by methical20 View Post
    Yup. Hodge is the only barrel I know of that is pretty much specifically designed for 855A1 and apparently works very well with it. The only other one that comes to my mind is maybe a Triarc as they have a heavier profile and are supposedly gassed very conservatively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by methical20 View Post
    So basically unobtainium.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    In stock now at several vendors - check Weapon Outfitters

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Sionics mid 16 is gassed properly at .076. They don't currently offer a 14.5" barrel.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Yeah they just hard a run but the stores. OPTactical has 14.5s and 12.5s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    They are available at Weapon Outfitters and OP Tactical, like others have said, and should be more readily available as the year progresses. It would be my first choice for your build and they are an awesome barrel. Gassed perfectly, great profile, and accurate as hell. I have three of them, plus two 12.5" versions. Also keep in mind that the Hodge 16" guns use Daniel Defense barrels. My second choice would be a 14.5" Daniel Defense Government Profile Midlength, like the one found in the Geissele/USASOC URG-I. Third would be the Medium Profile Sionics. The only reason the Sionics is third is because they don't offer a 14.5" middy. Sionics also makes an awesome barrel and is an outstanding company. I have asked if they plan on doing a 14.5" middy and they said that it is always a possibility, but they aren't fans of having to pin and weld muzzle devices.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    Would a BCM Barrel be almost as good?

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...4-emwf-std.htm
    Last edited by Rascally; 04-06-19 at 11:45.
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    So with the Hodge barrel could you use an LMT enhanced BCG since it's specifically tuned to run with "hot" M855A1 ammo? Like either with M855A1 or, say, Mk318, or even regular M855. Just wonder if the EBCG would cause malfunctions. Might have to change the buffer/spring combo if not running M855A1?

What about running an A5 buffer system with the Hodge?

One more question: if you get the GB-7 Micro Pin gas block that is made for the Hodge, do you HAVE to use only a Hodge rail with it or will it work with other rails (like a BCM KMR or MLR)?
    Last edited by ABNAK; 04-06-19 at 12:56.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast