Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What barrel is closest to a 14.5" SOCOM but mid-length gas?

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    I don’t think the LMT enhanced carrier, carrier only, would cause any issues. I run one, with a BCM Bolt, in my 11.5” SBR with no issues.

The Hodge barrels are tuned to run suppressed or unsuppressed with M855A1 with an H2 buffer. I wouldn’t foresee any issues with running an A5 system.

As far as the gas block goes, it is a standard GB7 and it will work under pretty much any rail.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'm thinking the closest to Colt SOCOM is probably a Noveske 14.5" CHF (model LCLP: https://www.noveske.com/products/chf...ed-lo-pro-5-56)
    However, since they increased their prices recently by at least $60-$70 across the line making this barrel $515.00. It's a stupid price to pay for it even with the occasional 20% discount.

I somewhat regret I didn't get it last time it was on black friday sale for around $350. I could somewhat (with the big stretch) justify that price, but definitely nothing above it. Paying that kind of money for a regular CHF barrel even with the good QC is not reasonable. This is especially the case when you can find similar CHF barrels for around 200-240.

I'm more and more liking BCM medium weight which has been mentioned. However, personally I simply can't stand flutes on barrels especially given the fact it was proven that they reduce accuracy. If it hadn't been for flutes I would have bought BCM Medium weight barrel long time ago.

There is nothing wrong with the Colt SOCOM barrel and being carbine length gas system should not deter you from buying one if you like it.
    Last edited by alx01; 04-06-19 at 16:49.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What about an LMT 14.5” barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    I'm thinking the closest to Colt SOCOM is probably a Noveske 14.5" CHF (model LCLP: https://www.noveske.com/products/chf...ed-lo-pro-5-56)
    However, since they increased their prices recently by at least $60-$70 across the line making this barrel $515.00. It's a stupid price to pay for it even with the occasional 20% discount.

I somewhat regret I didn't get it last time it was on black friday sale for around $350. I could somewhat (with the big stretch) justify that price, but definitely nothing above it. Paying that kind of money for a regular CHF barrel even with the good QC is not reasonable. This is especially the case when you can find similar CHF barrels for around 200-240.

I'm more and more liking BCM medium weight which has been mentioned. However, personally I simply can't stand flutes on barrels especially given the fact it was proven that they reduce accuracy. If it hadn't been for flutes I would have bought BCM Medium weight barrel long time ago.

There is nothing wrong with the Colt SOCOM barrel and being carbine length gas system should not deter you from buying one if you like it.
    No, I'm not a fan of fluted (BCM) either. I imagine sooner or later they'll have a medium one that isn't fluted, just a matter of time.

Yeah, that $515 for the Noveske is higher than a cat's back, like smoking crack higher!

I have a couple Colt SOCOM barrels and haven't had any issues, was just [over] thinking an ideal 2019 M4A1 setup, given that M855A1 is now standard issue. Not like I have any large amount of it mind you, maybe 100rds at most. Just doing mental gymnastics over what improvements would negate any issues arising from the "new" standard round.

I did break down and order the Hodge 14.5" and the GB-7 gas block made for it. Yeah, it wasn't a hell of a lot less than the Noveske to be sure. I have a Colt 6920 OEM2 that I bought for $605 shipped late last year and I'm gonna replace the barrel on it with the Hodge once I get it. If anyone is interested in an unfired 6920 OEM2 barrel PM me! That said, I feel the Hodge barrel would be given a good home as part of a Colt factory rifle.

Is the pinning on the GB-7 gas block something that should be done by the likes of ADCO or is it something you can do yourself (I don't have jigs)?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

What barrel is closest to a 14.5" SOCOM but mid-length gas?

Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post

However, personally I simply can't stand flutes on barrels especially given the fact it was proven that they reduce accuracy.
    Where was that proven? First I’ve heard of it.

Last edited by Wake27; 04-06-19 at 20:33.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    At one time Western Sport offered 16” DD S2W 5.56 barrels. Maybe you could scour the internets and find one? I did a quick search and had no luck.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Where was that proven? First I’ve heard of it.

I read about it in the context of a medium caliber weapons. It mentioned that there was little benefit of having flutes during a typical use. Increased machining as well as production time and associated costs outweighed somewhat minor weight savings especially with the decreased accuracy. Paragraph also mentioned that the experience mirrored that of a smaller caliber weapons. Textbook on the subject about 20-25 years ago - book was probably even older. I'm pretty sure you can find a relevant information and studies online now.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    That is the issue though. Textbook issues with manufacturing from 20 years ago pretends that the flaws that fluting initially caused may have not been solved since then. Even though the Mini-14 from 20-25 years ago is essentially the same general design Ruger has taken steps to improve the accuracy. Chrome lining is still chrome lining but the application processes have become more precise for consistent thickness.

As to the fluting on the MWE*F* as I understand it was primarily done to get the weight of the barrel on the level (1Lb. 10oz.) with the government profile in both Carbine and Mid-length.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Just curious. Why would you want to try and custom tune or build a barrel for ammunition that isn't readily available for purchase or use? Notwithstanding the conflicting information about it's legality for civilians or non-government agencies to possess.

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    No, I'm not a fan of fluted (BCM) either. I imagine sooner or later they'll have a medium one that isn't fluted, just a matter of time.

Yeah, that $515 for the Noveske is higher than a cat's back, like smoking crack higher!

I have a couple Colt SOCOM barrels and haven't had any issues, was just [over] thinking an ideal 2019 M4A1 setup, given that M855A1 is now standard issue. Not like I have any large amount of it mind you, maybe 100rds at most. Just doing mental gymnastics over what improvements would negate any issues arising from the "new" standard round.

I did break down and order the Hodge 14.5" and the GB-7 gas block made for it. Yeah, it wasn't a hell of a lot less than the Noveske to be sure. I have a Colt 6920 OEM2 that I bought for $605 shipped late last year and I'm gonna replace the barrel on it with the Hodge once I get it. If anyone is interested in an unfired 6920 OEM2 barrel PM me! That said, I feel the Hodge barrel would be given a good home as part of a Colt factory rifle.

Is the pinning on the GB-7 gas block something that should be done by the likes of ADCO or is it something you can do yourself (I don't have jigs)?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Just curious. Why would you want to try and custom tune or build barrel for ammunition that isn't readily available for purchase or use? Notwithstanding the conflicting information about it's legality for civilians or non-government agencies to possess.
    I too am curious for this answer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast